PVC live rock structure

danskim

I'm planning on making a structure made out of pvc to place some live rock on.
If you have done this, can you share some pictures?

I'll probably use Schedule 80 grey or kylon fusioned Schedule 40.

I made three pyramid type structures out of 1/2" pvc, which I intend to zip-tie Fiji and Tonga LR to. The idea is to make three islands of LR in my 180. I do not have any pics right now, but will post some in the next day or so.

I have also seen a few in the large tank forum. You may want to look at a couple of those build threads.

Good luck

Each island has a pvc base... You can see a little of it...

3.jpg

77662tank_front.jpg

77662tank_front_march_13th.jpg

I have a Sequence 1000 going through those two racks, Each rack has 6 loclines facing down which keep the area under the racks spotless so the system is about 70% BB.

I just changed my aquascape with 1/2" pvc as the structure for three towers. I drilled the pvc every 4-6" and use zip ties to hold the rock. Use UV resistant zip ties!

I have heard that zip ties will become brittle over time and you have the risk of them breaking and then you have a rock slide. Im not sure how true this is but I have noticed the zip ties I use in my sump do cut much easier after being in water for only a few months.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6973667#post6973667 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by avshockey311
I have heard that zip ties will become brittle over time and you have the risk of them breaking and then you have a rock slide. Im not sure how true this is but I have noticed the zip ties I use in my sump do cut much easier after being in water for only a few months.
Guess mine are just tables as the rock just sits on top. My philosophy is that tank crashes or major issues due to nitrate buildup are due to not the sand but rather the sand that live rock rests on. Detritus and uneaten food falls down into that abyss to rot - which is why a BB setup is cleaner. But personally I don't like the look of a BB tank so I have the best of both worlds. Anything that falls between the rocks gets blown somewhere it can be siphoned out. :)

i built my strucuter out of CPVC, i highly recommend that to regular PVC as it is much thinner in diameter.

I used a drill press and drilled all my rock wih a 5/8 bit and ran the pvc through it. It allows you to create large overhangs and great structures without worryin if it will fall apart...

we use black pvc crates that we use to stack out dog food and sit them up at angles against the back of the tank... cuts down on the amount of rock we have to use and adds to the volume of water

I have idea really as it was sold by the box. Maybe 75kg (150lbs) - could be more.

I believe mine is around 80-90 pounds or so. It's come from so many sources (including my rock garden in the yard) that I'm not totally sure. :)

If you're goign to blow flow through the structure, then collection isn't an issue inside the pipes. My pipes are only open on the bottom, and they rest on the tank floor. The sides are capped with PVC caps. Can't cap the everything obviously or they would float, and the bottom seems like a place nothign could accumulate. Even if you did have a little stagnant water inside the pipes, I'm not sure it would hurt anything especially if you have an army of those little hitchhiker snails (forget the name) that would move throught the pipes anyway -- stagnant detritus, on the other hand...

Back