pymirdal snails

Chris L

HFF:

You were right, I lifted up my last dereasa and guess what I saw? the shrimp like pods and what I think are pymrdial snails, they look like a corkscrew and are a little smaller than a grain of rice, what do I do. What is the common name of the wrasse that you recommended so I can buy one? Are there any other cures?

Chris

My crocea had these snails around the shell when I first got it. I picked them all off and scrubbed the eggs off the top of the shell with a toothbrush. Haven't seen a single one since.

[Edited by Sea Dragon on 02-01-2001 at 11:30 PM]

You can do what Sea Dragon suggested (keep checking to make sure you got them all), or get a predator for them, or both.

Some fish I've seen suggested, especially the first one:

Coris or Clown Wrasse (Coris gaimard), said to be a big fan of pyramid snails (as food) The juveniles are red with two white spots, and they grow to be moe bluish with lots of spots and a yellow tail. Quite a gorgeous fish. I do not know too much about them. It would serve you well to research them, in case they have any drawbacks of which I am unaware. I will try to do a search on one and post a pic or something.

Sixline wrasse and some other wrasses.

That's about all I know. Perhaps someone can add to this list.

HTH

ADDED IN EDIT: Here's a link describing the "yellowtail coris", Coris gaimard. this is the fish I mentioned. Click on the link "pictures" to see some better shots of the fish.

http://www.fishbase.org/Summary/SpeciesSummary.cfm?ID=5625&genusname=Coris&speciesname=gaimard

[Edited by herefishiefishie on 01-31-2001 at 10:17 PM]

I am going to try to remove the snails as I see them, but I hate to move my clams since they don't really like to be touched. My leopard wrasse looks like he should eat the snails, but I guess not. I would hate to add another fish to the tank and upset the balance that I have since I am on the edge of having too many fishes in my opinion. Do these snails climb rocks or are they a snad dwelling creature? Maybe I should move my clams onto the rocks.

Chris

HFF:

Don't the snails have to travel to the clam, or are they always there. I don't think that if I just remove the snails from the clam it will fix my problem. You don't think that the snails live in the sandbed?

Chris

It is most common for the snails to be introduced on a new clam. I imagine it's possible that they could have been introduced on just about anything (new LR, a coral, whatever). However they were introduced, I don't think moving the clam is really the solution. If you move the clam, I imagine the snails will just climb the rocks to the clam's new position.

The only two options I know of are to be vigilant in removing them by hand from the clam, or introduce a predator to the tank. The first option is less reliable, IMO, because if the snails hide in the sand, as you suggest, then cleaning them off the clam will prove futile. However, the predator, if it wants to eat the snails, will search relentlessly for them, and will do the work for you.

I don't know of any other way to go about ridding oneself of pyramid snails. Nor am I 100% sure if the snails live in the sand. It seems to me that the snails have little reason to leave their food item, and would probably be found only on the clam itself.

HTH

I hear you...I am going to buy a six-line wrasse today after work, hopefully it won't have a problem with my leopard wrasse or vice versa.

Cgrus

Back