Q and A about sump/refugium, etc...

ek9vboi

Hey guys and girls... can you answer some questions that I have?

About my sump/refugium:
1) How deep of a sand bed should I have for my refugium?
2) My return flow is going to be around 87-145 (most likely 145gph), how big of diameter piping should I be using? My return U-tube is 3/4"
3) Would it be ok to use established sand from someone else's tank in my sump? As in will the bacteria and so on have a problem with each other since the sand is from two different tanks?
4) How thick should my glass baffles be?

Other questions:
1) Is it ok just to put base rock right into an established tank already? As in will there be any problems like cycling the tank again.

I think thats about it for now... please let me know! Thanks

1-approx 1 inch
2-3/4"
3-I would not use sand from another tank, if you want livesand use the one that comes packed in water.
4-depends on what you are going to use them for, if they are just to have the water relase the bubbles and sediments then probably 1.5", if you want to use them to place a carbon bag then 3" either way make sure you leave enough space to be able to clean them easy with a hose or brush.
5-it will be better if you place the rock in a separate container with tank water for about a week and then smell them well before you place them in the tank if you get a rotten smell put them back in the bucket for another week or so, the smells means there is bateria attacking and digesting something, sort of when you don't wash you mouth at night and the next morning smell :D

Re: Q and A about sump/refugium, etc...

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7562087#post7562087 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ek9vboi
Hey guys and girls... can you answer some questions that I have?

About my sump/refugium:
2) My return flow is going to be around 87-145 (most likely 145gph), how big of diameter piping should I be using? My return U-tube is 3/4"
3) Would it be ok to use established sand from someone else's tank in my sump? As in will the bacteria and so on have a problem with each other since the sand is from two different tanks?

Other questions:
1) Is it ok just to put base rock right into an established tank already? As in will there be any problems like cycling the tank again.

I think thats about it for now... please let me know! Thanks
Im not a expert...but this is how my sump/fuge is setup
Mine is 2"
Im using 3/4 PVC with a very low flow "T" off from my return pump
I used about 2 cups of live sand from my main tank.

I used 1/8" glass for baffles cut at ace hardware....cost about 3 bucks each
hope this helps
Brian

Due to some serious space issues, I the return is going to have to be as big as the overflow enterence. I'll post a new diagram of it... this is so confusing. The info you guys posted are really helpful.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7562323#post7562323 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ek9vboi
Due to some serious space issues, I the return is going to have to be as big as the overflow enterence. I'll post a new diagram of it... this is so confusing. The info you guys posted are really helpful.

I dont have no space under my tank this is why Im going to a bigger tank and stand but this is the one I built its only a 20 gal
59590sump.jpg

59590FUGE.jpg

WOW that is small, I don't feel so bad anymore. :)

Here is what I plan on making:
sump3.jpg

I will be using 1/4" glass baffles. 1-2" sand bed for the refugium. Rocks will be soaked in a bucket for a week or more if needed. I think my Via Aqua pump should be more then enough power to pump the water back up to the display tank. it is rated 375 or so, but after all the bends and so on it should be less.

one thing to remember make sure if you lose power that when the water drains back to your sump that it dont overflow......how hight are you going to run your water in your sump.?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7562665#post7562665 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by bckane
one thing to remember make sure if you lose power that when the water drains back to your sump that it dont overflow......how high are you going to run your water in your sump.?

The sump water level at the highest will be at 17", but that is in the refugium. As for the overflow from the tank it will be at 16".

I figured since the most that the overflow can pull from the tank when a power outage occures is about lets say 3.1 gallons max. I used the RC calcalators to figure that out. That is with a 2" height of water over the overflow and my overflow is no where near that. A reasonable guess would be about less then 1".

Trust me, I've been trying to do so much research before I get into making the sump/refugium. I really wanted a big refugium, but it doesn't look like it is possible anymore.

Oh yeah, can anyone tell me how much flow should be going through the refugium? I used the RC calcs and got after the head loss and bends, etc that my pump will be return the water at around 200gph. So I'm trying to figure out how much flow is needed for the refugium that way I can get a sense if the pump will be effiencent or I should get another one.

Back