QT tank

steamboatreef

I'm planning out the setup of my first QT tank. I've concluded I should not add sand and live rock. I understand, medicine could kill the bacteria on the live rock.

My question is regarding biological filtration, will the medicine potentially kill my biological filtration and therefore I should only use mechanical filtration and water changes to control water quality, along with chemical filtration when it's time to remove the medicine?

I will use a power filter and I'm not sure if it's right to include biological filtration media within the power filter setup? One mentioned using in tank sponge filters and power filters with bio wheels. If we are not using live rock in the tank, why are we using sponge filters or bio wheels providing biological filtration when the medicine could kill that good bacteria?

If I don't use live rock in the tank for a specific reasons, should I not also use biological filtration in the HOB power filter?

I want to use an aqua clear power filter with the sponge that comes with and maybe some biological media, but I confused whether it should be used or not. I don't want to kill all the good bacteria when I add medicine and cause an ammonia spike.

thanks

I'm going to guess the answer of my own question based on the link provided. Copper medication will not kill the live bacteria cultivated on my biological media, and I should not worried about an ammonia spike. I should just be mindful every piece of equipment used in the tank will be contaminated with copper, including all biological filtration media. I must of read bad info about copper killing live bacteria and causing an ammonia spike.

Back