QT water changes?

Reefahholic

How long before the water fouls? I know a lot of variables play a role in this, but under normal conditions- how long until the water fouls and needs to be changed?

Say with 3-5 fish in a 10/g or 6-8 in a 20/L.

Smaller fish with HOB aquaclear and powerhead.

As long as you have adequate filtration and water movement, the only reason to change the water in QT is either in managing ammonia or in eliminating a particular medication. Otherwise I don't do it.

As long as you have adequate filtration and water movement, the only reason to change the water in QT is either in managing ammonia or in eliminating a particular medication. Otherwise I don't do it.

Yeah I have one QT that's established and 6 others that aren't.

I just wonder how long I can go without filtration because I'm running meds that will kill the bacteria.

I just wonder how long I can go without filtration because I'm running meds that will kill the bacteria.

Unless your talking high doses of antibiotics (i.e. when treating a Magnifica), I haven't found any of the meds I have used to kill off the bio filter. Including furan2, CP, NGP, prazipro and cupramine.

I go a lot longer than that with my established QT, but do larger WC's about every 3-4 weeks and sometimes longer.

The fish are in there for a reason so I like to keep the water pristine...less stress on the fish therefore increased immunity. Also I don't have a skimmer on the QT. I also do weekly water changes on my main..some people don't. Like most things in this hobby it's personal preference.

In my QT with 4 large fish, 20g I need to siphon the crude off the bottom of the tank every few to keep the ammonia from spiking. 25%-50% at least once a week, ammonia badge is key along with Amquel.

Can't wait to use the DT again, sigh.

In my QT with 4 large fish, 20g I need to siphon the crude off the bottom of the tank every few to keep the ammonia from spiking. 25%-50% at least once a week, ammonia badge is key along with Amquel.

Can't wait to use the DT again, sigh.

Me too, I've been fallow foreverrrrr.

29th = 72 days...

Unless your talking high doses of antibiotics (i.e. when treating a Magnifica), I haven't found any of the meds I have used to kill off the bio filter. Including furan2, CP, NGP, prazipro and cupramine.

I've noticed all the inverts in the tank have survived antibiotic therapy.

I think it takes a lot to kill the biological filter.

I currently have 3 fish in my 20 gallon QT and do a 20% water change every 3 to 5 days, seems to work fine.

LOL! Looks like mine a couple of months ago. I was so excited to get it down to 2. I had so much free time on my hands I didn't know what to do:)

Yes, it can be a lot of work, but I don't intend on keeping all 7 systems running and established.

These were built for Nems and new fish arrivals. Once I get the stock that I'm happy with. I'll put a lot of them in my garage until needed again.

I've noticed all the inverts in the tank have survived antibiotic therapy.

I think it takes a lot to kill the biological filter.

I wouldn't Metro the DT though, the inverts and suck will live, but you can crash the whole system quickly and deplete the oxygen. It won't kill all of the biologic but can kill enough of it. Prazi and others are safer.

Back