quarintine tank help

richierich2000

SPS Crazy
Premium Member
ok I am setting up a quarintine tank and would like some info on what would be best I will be using it for sps coral. I have a 12 gallon aquapod it has 2 27watt pc lights would that be ok if I raise the frags close to the top 6"-7"? do I need a skimmer if I do water changes from main system weekly run carbon and use ro/di ATO?

That tank would be a fine set-up. You don't need a skimmer, but I personally would do more frequent small water changes if you are not running some sort of other filtration like a canister or hang on back type. I guess it also depends on how many SPS you are keeping in there at one time. I usually QT lots of SPS at one time and like to make sure the parameters are stable with Alk, CA and Mag, so that's why I would do more frequent WC's. You could start with what you have suggested and try doing some testing to make sure your parameters are stay stable. If not, do more water changes.

I will do no more than 15 frags at a time. I am going to add a dual temp controller hooked to the heater and a extra fan. so if I do like 2-3 5 gallon wc a week I sould be fine?

Back