Question about Snails dying

When I started in this hobby I couldn't keep snails alive either. Now, I can't kill them or have them stop breeding everywhere, especially the trochus. They require stable tank alkalinity. My tank always read the same alkalinity at 4:00 pm every day but I dosed 2X200 ml Randy's Part 1 in am and pm and I guarantee you the alkalinity and pH were nowhere near the 4pm readings.

thanks for sharing nickts40, I have only few soft corals and zoas, I don't dose the two parts excpet using the Ca part to boost the nmixture water during water change.
how much ALK flucturation you had ? I monitored my PH swings 0.1-0.2 am and pm, I never monitored my ALK.

9 times out of 10 I'd say its your calcium level. We were never able to keep snails alive due to our drops in calcium over the period of just a day till we got our Korallin reactor. We bought snail night and day for the first 2 years we had our tank, lost them all. Ever since we could keep a constant calcium level, they thrive. Not saying it IS the problem but you need to keep and eye on it. Good luck!

Rock on,

I would monitor your alkalinity between water changes since you do not dose it. If your calcium is changing so is the dKh. Mine would swing at least by 1.5 with each addtion. My 90G was eating 3 dKh per day. I had way to much LR in it. My snails did stop dying when I added the GEO 612.

okay, I will keep my eyes on the alk, gosh, it is the time to make a CA and ALk tracking chart.....I think the regular water change does maint the levels stable, maybe I am wrong.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12886204#post12886204 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by lastduke
okay, I will keep my eyes on the alk, gosh, it is the time to make a CA and ALk tracking chart.....I think the regular water change does maint the levels stable, maybe I am wrong.

I wish it were that easy. Regular water changes won't cut the bill. Just for example, we were dosing 100ml (over three capfuls) of parts A and B of B-ionic and still could not meet the calcium/alk demands of our tank daily. If the The level would drop 50 ppm daily if we didn't add anything. The B-ionic got waaay to expensive, the reactor was the only way to go.

Keep a close check on those levels!

Rock on,

Back