Question: Bulkhead fittings, tubing going into sump

Jimmi328

I recently bought a used 90-gallon drilled tank. As the plumbing is currently configured, the tubing that goes from the overflow bulkhead beneath the tank into the sump is only slipped into the bottom of the bulkhead. This does not seem correct to me. I think this should be a secured threaded fitting. However, there are no leaks as this tubing is low-pressure. Hopefully, the enclosed pic’s may clarify my question.

Attachments

• BulkHeadTubing1.jpg
    BulkHeadTubing1.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 12
  • BulkHeadTubing.jpg
    BulkHeadTubing.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 11
That fitting is designed for a slip fit with pvc or abs pipe using the appropriate cement. A clear vinyl tube jammed in there is dodgy and asking for trouble.

That fitting is designed for a slip fit with pvc or abs pipe using the appropriate cement. A clear vinyl tube jammed in there is dodgy and asking for trouble.
Completely agree. Either slip fit with PVC cement or use a threaded fitting.

My preference is for a threaded bulkhead. Using a small amount of PTFE paste on the male threads makes for a great seal that can be disassembled if needed in the future.

FWIW - Teflon tape IS NOT the correct way to assemble threaded PVC fittings. Not that it won't work, but all too often too much is used, the fitting is then over tightened, and can then crack.

Back