question for sk8r and others

Am I wrong in thinking that a torch or frogspawn is a better alternative than an anenome? Iv read numerous threads recommending not to get an anenome no less than 6 to 9 months from start-up. Will clowns host in a frogspawn or torch. ( Dont have any fish yet, just curious).

Gallagher, clowns will host in anything from star polyps, to frogspawns, anemones, toadstool, and magfloats. If you can safetly put it in your tank, their's always going to be a chance your clowns will host in it. Their wierd like that. But yes, I do prefer Euhpyllia (frogs, torch, hammers, ect.) for my clowns vs. an anemone. Euphyllia will not walk around the tank like an anemone does and a nice E. Yayaemensis looks far better in my opinion than an Anemone. But ya must keep in mind, just cause you have a "whatever" in the tank, does not gaurantee a clown will host in it, it's really a crapshoot with em.

thanks papa. I like the look of the anemone but dont want the difficulty level at this early of a stage. I was thinking that the torch or frogspawn will give me that nice looking color and movement and much easier to maintain.

Once I get a clown I will see if an anemone is needed. ( not for a while yet).

Anemone's are rarely "needed" since clowns will host in a multitude of stuff, but some species will prefer anemones, and those tend to prefer certain species of anemones. Someone here willhave that list available in a link i'm sure (come on...who's got that link?) I'ts more a personal preference weather or not to have one. I'd vote frogspanw over a torch personally, but that's just a matter of me liking the froggies more. Smaller sweeper tenticles.

fwiw, the best "host" I've ever owned was a large (12+") green rhoadactis mushroom. The same specimen has hosted 3 paris of clowns so far and I finally took it out so maybe my latest clowns will host in something else...and they did...the dirt.

Fwiw, euphyllia tend to produce longer sweepers in higher flow areas. At least this has been my personal experience. A laminar flow(one direction, straight flow, as with a maxijet powerhead) may also cause the same. Laminar flows also seem to have detrimental effects on the shrooms in my tank as well. Even when in lower laminar flows.

Not sure yet...I'm still setting up my 75g upgrade but was planning on using 2 x Koralia #2's and a Koralia #1 along with my return pump (yet to be determined). Right now I have a #1 and a 1500gph Seio running and the flow seems good. No livestock to compare against but just watching the micro bubbles in the tank, flow seems good.

You've got about 34 x turnover rate, I know many people who go up alot more than that, so as long as you utilize the aquascaping to your advantage, I'm sure it'll be just fine.

BTW, there hasn't been a lot said about warefare by the leather types. How "dangerous" are the leather? I'm pasting in a pic below of something that was previously identified as sweepers on my devil's hand leather. The picture isn't good - hard to get focused on something that is finer than thread, and moving. These get about 4 inches long on my devil's hand and are often out with the lights on. In the pic one or two start on the lower left and go up diagonally to the upper right. They have a comb-like structure, evident only where focused on the lower left.

UnknownonDevil.jpg

If that's not what they are let me know.

I was under the impression that leathers did not utilize sweepers, but more chemical warfare. And depending on the species, the chemcial released can be extremely noxious, to the point that they'll quickly kill off LPS and SPS in close proximity without any action being taken to prevent this (carbon, skimming, ect.) Other species, such as kenya trees are less toxic, but a large less toxic species can be just as bad as a small very toxic one.

I've yet to see any of those on my devils hand, but I'll keep an eye open now. I've often been advised to keep leathers closer to my overflow box than any stoney corals, that way any released toxins can get sucked down to the sump and mechanical/chemical filtration before having a chance to do much damage elsewhere.

Thanks papagimp. I see them often on mine. The devil's hand is right below my overflow gate so that should help with any warfare chemicals being released and the carbon absorbing them. The sweepers are another matter, but I don't see anything within striking distance. I try to space my corals to take into consideration warfare & sweepers, but at times it gets a bit difficult in a nano!

I have a situation now with one of my ricordea appearing to be affected negatively by my frogspawn. The ric is shrinking away since the arms of the frogspawn often come into contact with the ric. The frogspawn appears to be winning.

great information on the leather. The post is turning out to be a very good one for us newbies. Thumbs up to sk8r, papagimp, and all others.

Really interesting pictures---it's a little reminiscent of some creatures [just the sweeper] I've seen in photos as independent life forms, but the association with the devils hand is absolutely fascinating. I've never seen a leather do that before.

I used to have a leather that looked like goosepimples, and when it got mad it went from bubblegum pink to lavender and EVERYTHING in the tank went unhappy. I'd have to run carbon to calm things down.

And just to illustrate that these are cantankerous creatures, I've had a frog and a candycane living in perfect harmony with a nasty large aiptasia between them, which was stinging my candycane and annoying two heads into poor health. Finally got the peppermint shrimp to eat the aiptasia last week, and now, 30 minutes ago, I notice the frog has managed to stretch a tentacle WAY down the rock and nail one of the candycane heads. The frog is impossible to move and the candycane isn't going to be easy to site, but, hey, that's reefkeeping for you. ;)

I'm only calling the life form on the leather a sweeper as that was the best (maybe only) ID that I on got on it when I posted that picture a while back. If someone has a better idea of what that threadlike thing with the comb-like structure is please say so. I thought it may have been some type of hydroid at first, but sweeper is what it was ID'd as. They do seem to come from the surface of the leather though.

Ok so from what I'm gathering I can have in close proximity to each other a frogspawn, torch, and hammer, and if I put them with the torch closest to the flow of water then the other two this would be good, with the thought of keeping the torches sweepers away from other corals by using the frogspawn and hammers as a spacer so to speak.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10432937#post10432937 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by sgallagher7
Am I wrong in thinking that a torch or frogspawn is a better alternative than an anenome? Iv read numerous threads recommending not to get an anenome no less than 6 to 9 months from start-up. Will clowns host in a frogspawn or torch. ( Dont have any fish yet, just curious).

Many complaints regarding anemones kept in tanks, aside from difficulty of care, is their movement. Most people new to anemones aren't prepared for them to move around and to crawl over rocks, with little to no regard for stinging and destroying any coral in their path.

In addition to that, anemones just seem to have a morbid, suicidal fascination with.... *dramatic music* powerheads. If you have an anemone in a tank without all powerheads properly and really tightly covered, odds are the anemone is going to find that one powerhead that isn't anemone safe, stick its squiggly little tentacles in, and get torn to bits. It's not a pretty sight, it reeks badly if you don't catch it right away, and a melting down anemone that's left to rot is a pretty fast way to ruin your tank. I'm not saying it's toxic like sea apples, but I am saying that any big pile of decaying junk is a quick way to put a jump in your ammonia levels! Ick, as in just gross, gross, gross.

However, this is not to say that I'm trying to discourage you entirely from anemones or other animals which exhibit hosting behavior.

Can we pause for a minute to talk about hosting?

Clownfish, in the wild, will take anemones as their host, most having a favored species of anemone to take as a host, but often accepting other, anemone-like things as a host. Take the true percula clownfish (Amphiprion percula). In the wild, these clownfish are generally found in commensal relationship with the Heteractis magnifica anemone. Unfortunately, these large, grand, and often exquisitely colored anemones are exceptionally difficult to keep in captivity, often wasting away and dying slowly. However, the percula clownfish will often be seen taking bubble tip anemones and long tentacle anemones as their hosts in captivity as a substitute. Even still, perculas have also been seen taking long polyped toadstool leathers, most Euphyllia corals, heliofungias, xenia, zoas or palythoas (in some cases) and even clam mantles for a substitute host (although, sometimes, clams "bite" back!). Some clowns adopt anemone like or really flowing fake plants as their would-be hosts! Even pink skunks and other clowns will eventually take condylactis anemones as their host when given nothing else!

Now, here's the rub to the commensal clownfish behavior. It doesn't always work. Most noteably with tank raised clownfish from commercial situations. For some reason, it seems to be most associated with clownfish raised in a situation where they do not come into contact with anemones as young, as though the instinct never kicks in. But, this is not to say that even single tank raised clownfish will not take a host. Far from it. Just that some can be more reluctant to take a host anemone.

If you decide an anemone is a must and wish to try to experience this for yourself, might I recommend the common, green bubble tip anemone. It's hardy, can be beautifully colored, and, out of all the anemones, is one of the easier ones to care for, along with the long tentacle anemone and the sebae (the EASIEST anemones to keep are anemones that we consider pests in the reef tank, such as aiptasia, the majano, and the condylactis, all anemones which generally do not exhibit commensal behavior). In addition to all that, what makes the bubble tip stand out in my mind as the best bet, is the fact that they are commonly available, relatively affordable, and the most likely to host clownfish, even reluctant clowns.

If you really want a clownfish to host, I do have a caution. The easiest clownfish to get to host are, arguably, the maroon (both white and gold striped), the tomato, the cinnamon (isn't Amphiprion melanopus fun to say?), and the clarkii. These types of clowns, however, have a huge downside. They all get to be large and quite snippy (I known some reefers who prefer to use the terms "jerks," "pushy," "aggressive," or "filled with personality"). They are definitely not material for tankmates if you plan to keep smaller or more timid and docile fish.

..... apparently... I got on the express train of thought and couldn't get off. Sorry.... that happens sometimes. I take it as a bad sign when my cat, Barry, who was waiting for petting and snuggles, is snoring before I finish a post.

:reading:

Grin.

Re Euphyllias---torch, frog, hammer---I and my lfs both put hammer and frog snuggles with each other with no problems, but my lfs says they haven't got the nerve to add torch to the pile because it's so much hotter. If anyone has done this, let me know. I'm curious. I love torch---but it's been an iffy keeper for me, because it is the longest tentacled euphyllia and can be cantankerous.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10435728#post10435728 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Sk8r
Grin.

Re Euphyllias---torch, frog, hammer---I and my lfs both put hammer and frog snuggles with each other with no problems, but my lfs says they haven't got the nerve to add torch to the pile because it's so much hotter. If anyone has done this, let me know. I'm curious. I love torch---but it's been an iffy keeper for me, because it is the longest tentacled euphyllia and can be cantankerous.

.... *sheepish*.... I accidentally did it one time at the LFS. I was rather aggressively trying to rearrange a rock piling in a tank, got them all mixed up when they were closed, and left all the Euphyllias in a corner together until I could sort them out later. It was just a couple of hammers and a smaller torch, but, since they all seemed fine together and looked pretty, I left them like that until they sold one by one.

Torches I find to be more iffy keepers because, of all the Euphyllia, they're the least hardy. They damage so easily in shipping, take so long to bounce back, and are just utterly susceptable to disease and the ever so fun "brown jelly." Granted, they're not difficult keepers once established in a good tank with a decent set-up and an at least competent keeper, but they always had such a poor track record in my experience with shipping, whereas hammers and frogspawns were always spot on (*except for the couple of times the bags were punctured in transit).

wow. Great information. With all this chat, I HAD to go out and get my very first pink tipped frogspawn. First coral in the tank. Have it low right now, attached to a movable piece of rubble. Polyps are out, and it only secreted one strand of mucus. All seems well, But how would I know either the light intensity is not enough or the flow is wrong. How will the frogspawn tell me?

Back