Question on PH Venturi Skimmer

eshook

I would like to use a MJ1200 (or similar) for a venturi driven protein skimmer. Unfortunately if you create a tall skimmer, this pump will not produce much foam. Is it possible to have the pump placed at the top of the inlet (where there would be almost no head pressure) then let the bubbles travel down and back up?

Does anyone see any large problems with this? It seems this has been tried before but I cannot find an example.

Thanks for any help!

It would make more sense if you mean having the powerhead near the collection cup and having it go down a tube to the bottom into the skimmers reaction chamber. The air bubbles get longer to react and will mix in better down the tube.

I'm not sure a powerhead will be great for a skimmer unless it is small. Powerheads are good for turnover, but have no pressure behind them. Have you looked into buying/making an injector like a Mazzie Injector? A lot more efficient even if used with a powerhead.

The skimmer will most likely not be very large. I am looking for something that will remove some skimmate but not remove small fish ;o) I have seen some monster skimmers on here and I only have a 29 gallon display so I don't need anything large. I am looking for something that will be

#1. low maintenance
#2. low cost

I know I can buy the bak-pak dual 2 for only $100, but for now a few feet of 4" pvc and a small pump will suffice.

Whats the difference between a Mazzie Injector w/ powerhead and a rejuvinating-venturi PH?

Note: I plan to use the fish-line mod to chop the bubbles also.

Thanks for the help rememberme

Well most powerhead venturis (MJ1200s for example) are just small tubes that connect to the output nozzle (usually at 90Ã"šÃ‚°).

These are not too efficient. Even the pump on my TurboFlotor isnt very efficient in design...

The Mazzie and a few other like it use a slightly different design. Water enters the injector in the normal manor, but the tube slowly reduces in a cone shape. At the end of the cone (at its thinnest point) it shoots into an larger cone facing the other way (so it goes into the thin end of the 2nd cone) and because the 2nd cone is bigger, they add a small air tube behind the first cones output so that the pressure of the water jetting out will suck in the air at a greater velocity.

That didnt make much sense I doubt, but there you go.

I believe I have seen this before, just didn't recognize it by name. A few people even diy'ed this, but it is difficult IIRC. I think they cost something like ~$20 to just buy them, any I correct?

If I were to go this route would it be better to buy a mag 1.5 or similiar. It would be nice to make this as cheap as possible...

The injectors are expensive for sure, I spent Ã"šÃ‚£50 on one ($90?).

I obviously can't guarentee they are a lot lot better, but the bubbles are a lot smaller (good thing) compared to pumps and powerheads that just seem to spit out a mess of water and air.

There are a few other technologies you could probably 'rip-off' the needle wheel I think is one example... It's up to you in the end of the day, I don't want to say one is better than the other, but if you get a chance to compare the bubble diffusing from a injector compared to a standard venturi, I'm sure you would agree they are a lot more efficient (and possibly worth the extra dosh?).

Good luck with whatever you decide!

At almost $100 I would rather buy the RR bak-pak... I was hoping I could get something for cheap, but it looks like that won't happen. I appreciate your help rememberme.

Now I don't know what I will do. Maybe I will suck it up and buy the bak-pak, maybe I'll try to think of another diy, and maybe... just maybe ... i'll go skimmerless...

Eric

Back