Skimmer just stoped producing foam

You are asking something that has a complex answer because ozone accomplishes several things at once.

the simple version

Ozone is used in aquaculture applications to improve water quality, reduce pathogens, and increase efficiency of the water treatment systems.​

All three of these are important in their own way.
The dissolved organics are changed to other compounds that aren't coloring agents in water and are more easily removed by skimming.
I have used ozone for several years and my system doesn't use carbon. None of the result can be attributed to it.
I do not use charcoal because of HLLE and tangs.
Clear water and no disease outbreaks despite never quarantining new additions.
These have made it something I consider important in my systems filtration method.
Carbon is easy on a small talk. It is a giant headache and a significant expense on large ones.
LaCl is used for the same reasons. GFO is nice on a small tank and a hassle on a big one.
Do you use carbon on the air outlet of your ozone reactor? My reactor pushes both the air and the water through carbon, but I don't change it as often I I think I should (maybe once every 6 months). But the only time I smell ozone is if I am working on it, so I wonder if the carbon is still working even after 6 months?

From what I understand, the ozone in the water is not a problem (it does not last long), but the byproducts of bromate and hypobromous acid (which the carbon should remove) is.

Do you use carbon on the air outlet of your ozone reactor? My reactor pushes both the air and the water through carbon, but I don't change it as often I I think I should (maybe once every 6 months). But the only time I smell ozone is if I am working on it, so I wonder if the carbon is still working even after 6 months?

From what I understand, the ozone in the water is not a problem (it does not last long), but the byproducts of bromate and hypobromous acid (which the carbon should remove) is.
I do not have an air outlet. I push the ozone into a becket injector on the life reef skimmer. It recirculates the air from the skimmer cup. The skimmer vents through a hole in the lid. I attached a tube to this vent and pass that air to my very large Reef Octopus skimmer.
So all the ozone gets used in the 2 skimmers.
I have a variable output on my ozone generator and keep it turned down so I do not have excess ozone going into the system.
It has been running this way for years now. I have not had any problems with toxic byproducts.
As I said before. I do not try to push the system OPR to a high value. Something just under 300 seems to be good.

I do not have an air outlet. I push the ozone into a becket injector on the life reef skimmer. It recirculates the air from the skimmer cup. The skimmer vents through a hole in the lid. I attached a tube to this vent and pass that air to my very large Reef Octopus skimmer.
So all the ozone gets used in the 2 skimmers.
I have a variable output on my ozone generator and keep it turned down so I do not have excess ozone going into the system.
It has been running this way for years now. I have not had any problems with toxic byproducts.
As I said before. I do not try to push the system OPR to a high value. Something just under 300 seems to be good.
Sounds like a nice setup.

Back