Question on the red grape macroalgae bubbles

Newms118

I have a red grape macroalgae and one my damsel fish seems to love eating the grapes. Can the plant survive if all the grapes are eaten off?

The grapes have also started to turn clear. So is that a sign its getting too much light? I dont believe its nitrate issue bc I tested today and I have a good bit above 4 PPM.

I have a red grape macroalgae and one my damsel fish seems to love eating the grapes. Can the plant survive if all the grapes are eaten off?

The grapes have also started to turn clear. So is that a sign its getting too much light? I dont believe its nitrate issue bc I tested today and I have a good bit above 4 PPM.

It sounds like photo shock. Bortacladia is collected in Gulf of Mexico between 60' and 120' deep. It is not very bright at that depth and the color is a dark burgundy. As Bortacladia is subject to more intense light the color changes to orange/yellow on tips. When flotation balls turn clear it is going sedual. More than likely, it will disintegrate spreading its spores in the water column. I have a 55G growout tank with Red Grapes growing everywhere, some in very low light areas inside of HOB filter boxes, some very close to light.

Bortacladia can photoadapt but it prefers lower light conditions where it keeps a dark burgundy color as opposed to yellow orange on the tips in higher light.

It sounds like photo shock. Bortacladia is collected in Gulf of Mexico between 60' and 120' deep. It is not very bright at that depth and the color is a dark burgundy. As Bortacladia is subject to more intense light the color changes to orange/yellow on tips. When flotation balls turn clear it is going sedual. More than likely, it will disintegrate spreading its spores in the water column. I have a 55G growout tank with Red Grapes growing everywhere, some in very low light areas inside of HOB filter boxes, some very close to light.

Bortacladia can photoadapt but it prefers lower light conditions where it keeps a dark burgundy color as opposed to yellow orange on the tips in higher light.

Well its a good thing its pretty small bc I doubt thatll pollute the water column. I put a plastic shot glass over one of the branches so the damsel can't eat at it. I will try to move it a bit tomorrow away from the light.

The first time I grew Red Grapes, it was in a 55G tank with two 40W fluorescent lamps. One was 6500 daylight and one was actinic. In 5 years the bush grew to 16” tall and filled 1/3 of the tank.

It is not good for nutrient export but it is a gorgeous ornamental seaweed.

Back