question on water change article

joy solomon

Hi Marc,

I just finished reading your great article on water changes. Do you attempt to vacuum detritus out of your sump when you change the water? If not, are you using some kind of mechanical filtration?

Hi Joy - Not every water change, but yes I do siphon it out from time to time. I don't use mechanical filtration at all, as I feel that is just more maintenance that I have to stay on top of.

To siphon it out, there are two methods. One that I can do is place a bucket on the floor in front of my sump and siphon it out with 1/2" flexible tubing. I'm able to do this because my sump is 4.5" off the ground, and the water level is 9" deep.

The other method is to hook up some tubing to the intake side of a pump, like the water change pump, and suck up the detritus as it is being pump out of the system into the waste water container. The pump may clog up with snails shells and other hard bits, so you have to stop and unclog it a few times or avoid the bigger bits of junk.

Marc, have you ever used a Python? It would take away the step of pumping the water from your holding tank into the sink. It would also eliminate some wear and tear on the pump you are using.

Hi Joe,

No, I've never bothered. I prefer to know exactly how much water has been pumped out, and I have plenty of pumps for water changes. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Back