Questions about new mantis

ADHybrid

Well, I have a few questions. I just recieve I believe a new Peacock mantis.

1. I have put snails in the tank and he doesn't seem to hunt them down...whats wrong?

2. Is there ANY other reef inhabitant (Corals, anemones, etc.) that I can put in there with him/her?

3. What is the ABSOLUTE best food to feed Smasher mantis's?

4. Is a pvc pipe tunnel better than just supplying it with live rock with small caves?

Any answers will be greatly appreciated!!!!:eek:

1. not hungry? does it eat anything else (shrimp)

2. corals are okay, though you got to attatch them to smething solid that the mantis can't move or bury. consiider anything that moves potential food. :D

3. no idea. ^_^;

4. i prefer live rock.

1) I guess depending on how new your mantis is, he may not go for the snails yet...like someone else said, you may want to feed him shrimp first by putting it in front of him. He's probably just getting adjusted to your tank. Sometimes when I do a big water change, my peacock won't eat either...

2)same as above...

3)I don't think there is one best food, but a varied diet of seafood is best...mussels, clams, ocean fish, scallops, shrimp...I've fed mine raw pork, beef...I know some people mix foods with some sort of vitamin and mineral formula.

4)PVC vs. Live rock...I would say either is fine as long as the mantis can make a nice deep, dark, cave for itself...They should be able to turn around without having to come out of the hiding place. I have a white tube and the mantis just molted successfully a couple weeks back...Live rock would probably look much nicer. I just don't have the space in the tank...
-sean

Thank you all for all the info you have been giving me. I am happy to report that when I came home I had the pleasant surprise of finding small peices of snail shell scattered all over my aquarium :)D I wish i would have seen this though). I have decided to make it a cave out of both pvc and live rock (stacking live rock around the pvc). As far as other tank inhabitants, I'm not quite sure if i wanna drop 60 bucks to install another compact onto the aquarium for chorals... We'll wait and see.:D

Your basic pulsing xenia should be fine under relatively low lighting. That's what was recommended to me....

Back