Quick question

Che

I have the opportunity to grab a 40 breeder that a friend was using as a turtle tank. Would it be a bad idea for me to turn this thing into a sump for a clownfish breeding system?

I don't know if anything was ever treated in the tank and neither does the owner.

Any help is much appreciated.

Che

My rule has always been, once reptile urine etc... in the tank, no more fish...

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Che!

Check out the silicone. If it looks good, fill with water and leak test. Honesty I don't think anything that a reptile would produce could not be killed with a lil bleach and rinse. I more worry about was the reptile scratching in the corner destroying the silicone. If it looks fine and holds water then I would use.

Also I have a left over 40B from the last $per gallon sale if you want to pay what it cost me.

I agree with Jay. Tank integrity is more important than what turtles can leave behind that drying and bleaching won't solve.

I use a mixture of vinegar and sodium percarbonate (dry form of H2O2) to sterilize my tanks and equipment. The nice thing about the sodium percarbonate is that you can add as much as you want to get a higher percentage of H2O2. H2O2 will kill organic material. As it breaks down your left with water with some soda ash in it. None of the nasties like when you use chlorine. You don't have to go through any steps other than a good rinse and wipe down. I use it to clean my felt filter socks.

I use a mixture of vinegar and sodium percarbonate (dry form of H2O2) to sterilize my tanks and equipment. The nice thing about the sodium percarbonate is that you can add as much as you want to get a higher percentage of H2O2. H2O2 will kill organic material. As it breaks down your left with water with some soda ash in it. None of the nasties like when you use chlorine. You don't have to go through any steps other than a good rinse and wipe down. I use it to clean my felt filter socks.

Not to get off topic here, but where do you get sodium percarbonate?

I get it from Amazon. It was around $20 for 10 or 11lbs the last time I bought some.

It is the base ingredient for oxi-clean. Oxi-clean folks add detergents, etc.

Besides tank and equipment cleaning, I use it in my laundry. I make a DIY laundry mix and I toss the sodium percarbonate in the wash at the same time. You can clean grout and lots of other things in the house.

H2O2 works because of the extra oxygen atom. It is an oxidizer. H2O2 breaks down into an oxygen atom and H2O. It's a great cleaner, I just avoid putting my hands in the bucket when it is cleaning and once you stop seeing all the oxygen bubbles your just left with water. When I clean my felt sock filters the water will be dirty after it is done working. I just rinse the socks with a hose to remove the loose dirt an let them air dry.

I get it from Amazon. It was around $20 for 10 or 11lbs the last time I bought some.

It is the base ingredient for oxi-clean. Oxi-clean folks add detergents, etc.

Besides tank and equipment cleaning, I use it in my laundry. I make a DIY laundry mix and I toss the sodium percarbonate in the wash at the same time. You can clean grout and lots of other things in the house.

H2O2 works because of the extra oxygen atom. It is an oxidizer. H2O2 breaks down into an oxygen atom and H2O. It's a great cleaner, I just avoid putting my hands in the bucket when it is cleaning and once you stop seeing all the oxygen bubbles your just left with water. When I clean my felt sock filters the water will be dirty after it is done working. I just rinse the socks with a hose to remove the loose dirt an let them air dry.

Good little bit of knowledge , kjonulak

Back