Quietest Return pump and Wavemaker/SQUID

Wistler

We have a 180 gallon FOWLR tank thats been set up for a few weeks.

The thread with the pics and stuff is here: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2107532

The previous owner had a Hyperflow 32 pump in the 55 gal sump with no pre filter. The impeller got shredded from sucking in substrate and it was loud as heck when I turned it on. I am debating weather to order a new impeller for $35 or get a new pump altogether.

I am also not sure if the Hyperflow at 1500GPH @ four feet of head wasn't pumping water back faster than the dual overflows were draining at 1200 GPH. Who ever plumbed the previous owners tank had a ball valve restricting flow on the return.

Currently I am running a Mag 9 Return pump which I already had. It is plumbed directly up to a "T" fitting above the sump and back to each return.

The ends of the return pipes in the tank each have a "Y" on them with the flattened diffuser sprayers, or whatever you call them.

So my questiion is who makes the quietest internal return pump for a 180 gallon FOWLR tank that offers good water flow and minimal heat transfer?

The tank is in our TV room so even though the mag 9 isnt too loud, I have to believe there is a more efficient and quieter pump.

Also, would it be a good move at this time to install a SQUID or wavemaker device where the current "T" fitting is, or just leave it plumbed the same way as when I bought the tank. I wanst sure of the benefits of alternating flow to and from each return on a FOWLR tank.

I currently have a single Koralia 1050 power head shooting straight across the front of the tank supplementing the returns.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Back