Rainbow Acan Lost Rainbow coloring

thompson2224

I have a rainbow acan that has turned mostly blue and red and lost its yellow, greens, and other colors.

Is there something I need to add to the tank to color them?

I have them under LED that are on from 6am to 7pm and rotate color spectrum throughout the day.

Can I do anything to bring the color back? It is only a 3 head frag that I have had for about a month now. I have it low in the tank and had it in a shaded spot for awhile once it started to lose its color but now brought it back into the light and brought the light power down

In my extensive experince with Acan's and LED's --

Under MH + T5 - Acan's tend to MAINTAIN their color for MOST spectrums
Under T5 Only - Acan's tend to MAINTAIN Their color for all spectrums (if your T5 Combo is 20K ish)
Under LED - Acan's usually became Orange/RED, and or Green - and lost their blue/yellows/pinks/teal's

I got mine in my frag tank to keep their color by turning the LED"s mostly ACTINIC and supplementing with 2 T5 Bulbs - I don't want to press my preference on you but I'm on the

LED+T5 (If I'M determined to go LED and want the best of both worlds)
T5 (Only if the # of LED's I need to cover an area is more expensive than the same coverage with T5) (ex 24" - Sure 1 LED fixture covers it with all the bells and whisles) 60" might need 4 LED's too $$$ 1 60" T5 is cheaper.)

I love Acan's - Chalices and SPS in that order so LED only is not an option for me.

I have a rainbow acan that has turned mostly blue and red and lost its yellow, greens, and other colors.

Is there something I need to add to the tank to color them?

I have them under LED that are on from 6am to 7pm and rotate color spectrum throughout the day.

Can I do anything to bring the color back? It is only a 3 head frag that I have had for about a month now. I have it low in the tank and had it in a shaded spot for awhile once it started to lose its color but now brought it back into the light and brought the light power down

you should =X start upping the blue's I would not base this off led vs t5 more that you need to play around with the light and more importantly water param's proper feeding I get my acans from a supplier who uses leds exclusively so I really would not put much stock in the above advice
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GsfBjsPavJw

Last edited:
All Delight,

Can you share your lighting setups? I've seen some spectacular
pictures of your acans.

They ideally need a good solid wavelength of around 420nm, every acan will adapt to its environment. Lower light and lower wavelengths will excite pigments more. Hence you see brighter colour banding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Darrell has some of the best colouration to demonstrate the need for uv's ;)

an example one of mine under 400nm solid, no whites. 8hrs a day using a eco-lamps krv5 led. T5s would provide better results as Darrell said (and omg his rocks) but leds are ok if you invest wisely.

da06cad9874e0a1a079f856bbc77852a.jpg

Back