rainbow cleaner wrasse w/ coris wrasse?

KRAZE

Just picked up a yellow coris wrasse at the beginning of the week and have the opportunity to grab a hawaiian (rainbow) cleaner wrasse next week... are they compatible?

DT is a 30g rimless mixed reef with the coris, a mocha clown and domino damsel + a pistol shrimp in there too.

The wrasse is little, so i will be sure the new one would be on the smaller side also. Here's a couple pics of him...
600463_10150851657842864_929268230_n.jpg

521279_10150851657782864_323441299_n.jpg

I would say 30 gallon is actually quite small for the yellow wrasse. I have one and he's a good 4 inches and swims constantly. I have a 125 gallon though. they DO jump too mine hits the mesh on top all the time.

dont mix wrasse. there very agressive with there own species. in reality they should be one of the last additions to any tank because they can become territorial. but my six line seems to do well and he was second.

I would say 30 gallon is actually quite small for the yellow wrasse. I have one and he's a good 4 inches and swims constantly. I have a 125 gallon though. they DO jump too mine hits the mesh on top all the time.

Hence the reason why i bought such a very small wrasse, and would only buy another very small wrasse. Before they grow out of this tanks, i will have a bigger tank, everyone can be sure of that.

dont mix wrasse. there very agressive with there own species. in reality they should be one of the last additions to any tank because they can become territorial. but my six line seems to do well and he was second.

So you are saying dont mix ANY wrasse? Because i see multiple wrasse tanks all over the internet, especially on this forum. We even keep them together here at the LFS i work at.

I was just looking for anyone who has had compatibility issues with those exact two species or closely related ones.

You can mix wrasses. Some species can be aggressive but the yellow coris is usually good. A rainbow cleaner wrasse is not a good beginner fish and should probably be left in the wild due to it's value in nature and it's poor success in captivity

Huh, I wasn't aware of that about the rainbowe, good to know and glad I passed on him for the time being and won't bother in the future... until they are successfully tank bred at least if ever. I think I'm gonna grab a pygmy or possum wrasse for my next/last fish in this tank.:fish1:

Back