Random bleaching?

patedship

In Memoriam
All of my SPS were thriving after I added them to my tank. Then they all started to show random bleaching. Mainly around the encrusted bases of nearly all my SPS. I really dont know what the cause of this would be. I have nearly perfect parameters and all my bulbs are less than a month old. The tank hasnt been set up too long as everything was transferred from my old 75. Over four years of fully established live rock and sand which in turn gave me no cycle. But I have noted that the corals dont like to polyp out that much in the day so I am assuming it has to do with the lighting. But I added a few new pieces yesterday and they started to look bad (not polyping out). On a side note I noticed that around my silicone in the sump that there is like a neon green discoloration. I used 100% silicone an exact brand and formula that I was advised to via an online thread. I am wondering if this realted with the bleaching as SPS corals are so very delicate.

Temp 77.7
SG 1.025
pH 8.o
ORP 3oo
Nitrate <.3 mg/l
Ammonia 0.0
Calcium 415
KH 10

Umm about 2 weeks after the tank was set up. This guy has been up and running for about a month. I know I know... most say a tank should be set up for about 1 year before adding sps to it. But I really didnt have anywhere for them to go. I have a lot of high end expensive pieces that I couldnt just sell as they would be hard to get back.

are you dipping or do you quarantine your acros??? its sounds like stn but might be other causes.. flow,phosphate,bugs... from my experience stn is caused by stress

Yeah I dip everything in the tank has been dipped I have been pest free for many months. I do need to test for phosphates. I do have a lot of flow in the tank. but I main increase it slightly is needed. Is STN fixable? I know RTN isnt obviously because it happens at such a "rapid" pace.

Yeah you should have waited at least 3 or 4 months before moving your acros to the new tank. Dip the corals that you are having problems with. Your nitrates should idealy be at zero. What are your phosphates at? It sounda like your corals are stressed out both poor polyp extention and STN or RTN can be caused by stress.

My yeah stupid little TetraTest doesnt have an option for o.o ppm only one for < 0.3 ppm so I know it is between there.

As for the move I ideally wish they were still in the 75 gallon but stuff came up and I had to get rid of it. In all reality what should I do? If you are saying they are heavily stressed. The dip with just add to that ten fold at least. What about a water change to lower the KH?

I am experiencing this right now as well. I can tell you I am having some Alk swings right now and my Phosphates creeped up on me. Is it one or the other or a combination of the two, I don't know. It only seems to be in the part of the coral that is receiving the most light. Some of these corals have been in the system for about a year.

I have never been able to find a Phospahte test kit that measures anything accurately for me. I have a colony of A. Chesterfieldensis that browns as soon as my Phosphate starts to rise so that has become my Natural test kit.

Last edited:
In the words of Anthony Calfo the solution to pollution is dillution (not sure on the spelling). In other words water changes, small water changes spaced out a fews apart. And a little time and waiting, the healthy stronger corals should pull through with a little luck.

Discuss with me the flow you have in your tank. Also, the livestock including fish.

All too often people "assume" in this hobby and also, all to often people look to lighting as a problem.

Since it is a rather new setup that in itself may cause issues. Aside from that I would look at water flow and alkalinity. How recent is your alk test kit? You may want to get a second to confirm the numbers. I had STN on the base of an sps coral this past week and I realized my alk was at 12.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12758626#post12758626 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Serioussnaps
Discuss with me the flow you have in your tank. Also, the livestock including fish.

All too often people "assume" in this hobby and also, all to often people look to lighting as a problem.

I have a mag 7 return on a 26 gallon bowfront with a 1200gph closed loop pump w/ head loss.

As for the livestock I have; 2 clowns, a clown goby, a black combtooth bleeny, 2 firefish, 2 cleaner shrimp

Back