Why do SPS need "aged" tanks?

Lebowski_

Coconut Bangers Ball
I have a reef with softies, LPS and a few SPS, all are thriving. I was going to upgrade the tank, and then use the tank they are in to start a fresh, clean, dedicated SPS tank.

For live rock, I was considering going with some dry rock - maybe the Caribsea stuff. However, I've seen it referenced on various forums that you want to wait until your tank is X months old before you add SPS.

I am a bit confused why that matters when Nitrate and Phosphate can be tested and managed, and ammonia is a non-issue in a tank with just coral.

IMO, that, "rule" is more for newer hobbyists. It's to make sure they have a firm grasp on tank maintenance, water parameters and, also, to ensure the cycle is complete.

In our old house, I had a 200 gallon SPS (mostly Acros and Montis) dominated reef. When we moved to our current house many years ago, I was fortunate. The seller agreed to let me hook up my RODI and fill a 300 gallon stock tank in the basement before we closed a week or two before we closed. So, on moving day, I had 300 gallons of recently mixed saltwater, heated and circulated ready to go. We only moved a mile so, all I did was take all the live rock and livestock from the 200 and moved it to the 300. No issues at all.

Back