Randy, just thinking out loud

Billybeau1

Premium Member
Ya know I got to thinking (dangerous for me). If I couldnt get my ORP above 330 or so with the Red Sea unit, and now with the Sanders I have to dial it down to 1/3 to keep ORP below 375, I'm thinking the Red Sea was not producing what it said it was.

Now my point of interest. What if your Aqua Medic was doing the same thing and thats why you couldnt get over 330. I remember you said you tested the effluent and it was 640 or something but maybe the probes dont measure well when in contact with ozone.

I just wonder what results you would get with a Sanders. If its anything like I just observed over the last few days, I gotta believe the same thing should happen to everyone.

I got it dialed in now and am sitting at 375mv. Amazing huh ?

That Sanders sounds underrated! But my Red Sea unit is able to put me to about 340mV and my tank is 150g. Its only a 50mg unit. I would think a 100mg would bring me closer and probly beyond the 400mv mark. I am very suprised you could not excede 330mV with your 100mg on a 72g (guessing from your tank description).

How much tubing do you use to run the unit with?

I never tested this but I keep my ozone unit connected to my skimmer with only 5inches of ozone tubing. I felt the faster it gets sucked down the beckett injector the faser it works and the less degredation I get. After all the trouble of making the ozone I want as much of it to react within my skimmer as possible.

I know we are not supposed to purely look at ORP as a guide but more so the water clarity itself, but I am sure you as well I feel it difficult to not want to use this as a judge of proper ozoneizer function and tank health. There is clearly something strange about your RED SEA unit.

Yes, its a piece of junk. :D

5 feet of tubing running from the unit to the skimmer. The same 5 feet that is now running from the Sanders to the skimmer. Nothing else has changed.

I don't doubt that I could push the ORP higher wiuth more ozone, but I don't think that ORP is a good way to judge whether ozone has done its job. :)

Well I know that Randy. I learned it from you :)

I just cant believe the new Sander unit operating at 1/3 capacity is doing a better job than the Red Sea at full capacity.

There is something very satisfying about seeing that 375 number. Especially since a number of aquarists have achieved this. Whether that number means anything or not is still to be determined I suppose.

In the next few weeks I'll decide whether or not it is worth it. I will be watching algae growth, water parameters and general tank and livestock appearance.

We shall see. :)

I just cant believe the new Sander unit operating at 1/3 capacity is doing a better job than the Red Sea at full capacity.

Maybe that's why Boomer likes them. :D

:D Red Sea ====> Junk

I don't doubt that I could push the ORP higher wiuth more ozone,

I'lll take that bet ;) You let me run that tank with ozone and I'll get it to 600 mV

Billy: I don't doubt that Sanders is a better ozonizer. However, I've been running a Red Sea for several months and had no difficulties maintaining an ORP level of 400mvs in my system. Granted I just been having some issues with it in the past week or so (see my recent thread in this forum) but seems that it just needs to be cleaned out.

Well you are one of the lucky ones. Mine hasnt worked right since day one. FWIW, I tried cleaning mine out like you said in your other thread but it did no good.

I don't doubt that I could push the ORP higher wiuth more ozone

I don't remember that word "don't" in there when I posted. :lol:

Man sorry to hear that. I mean maybe Red Sea doens't make the best ozonizers out there but I can't believe that they are that crappy! I guess for now I'll keep riding this Red Sea thing until the wheels fall off! LOL

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8123367#post8123367 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Boomer
I don't doubt that I could push the ORP higher wiuth more ozone

I don't remember that word "don't" in there when I posted. :lol:

Yeh, it was there when he posted. Are we having a moment ? :D

But why if the sanders is so much better did one of your fish die at a still relatively low orp. That makes me wonder.I really am happy with my Red sea but maybe as it gets older my feelings will change. My skimmer is working better than ever and my water has lost its yellowing tint with its use. I love its integrated controller and I just hope it lasts at the end of the day.

vij. I stated in my other thread that I thought it was the sudden change. It rose too fast over night. I had it cranked up all the way because thats what I ran my Red Sea at. I think some of the ozone leaked past the carbon and burned the gills of my flame. The other fish werent looking so good in the am but when I shut the unit down, the rest recovered.

I didnt realize the Sanders was so much more efficient than the Red Sea I was using. For over a year I ran my Red Sea wide open (108mv) and my orp never rose over 330 or so.

My biggest mistake was running the new unit overnight without having a controller on it.

I wont make that mistake again.

It's unbelievable to me that my new Sanders unit is set at 1/3 capacity and is maintaining my ORP at 375mv.

Seeing is believing.

Back