rare fish suggestion

ddboy

I am looking to see if there is any rare fish I can put into my tank. I prefer tangs and angels, anyone has any suggestion?

liveaquaria.com
phishybusiness.com
justrarefish.com
themarinecenter.com (overpriced IMO, though some people love em)

Cant speak for the others, but right now I know Phishy Business has several Really Really nice Interruptus Angels (2 adult males, and maybe 1 juvie left. ask about the males, since they arent listed on the website), Arcuatus/Bandit Angel (who actually eats), and a lot of more unusual wrasses (pyles, hooded, some gorgeous pink-margins, a pair of balteatus), a few cool butterflies including a nice size Tinkers that eats like a hog. Tang wise, there is a smallish Black Tang.

Other rare fish that sometimes make it into the hobby with at least Some regularity...
Gem Tang($$$!), Conspiculatus Angel, Africanus Angel, Resplendent Angel

Last edited:
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9814849#post9814849 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Hormigaquatica
liveaquaria.com
phishybusiness.com
justrarefish.com
themarinecenter.com (overpriced IMO, though some people love em)

Cant speak for the others, but right now I know Phishy Business has several Really Really nice Interruptus Angels (2 adult males, and maybe 1 juvie left. ask about the males, since they arent listed on the website), Arcuatus/Bandit Angel (who actually eats), and a lot of more unusual wrasses (pyles, hooded, some gorgeous pink-margins, a pair of balteatus), a few cool butterflies including a nice size Tinkers that eats like a hog. Tang wise, there is a smallish Black Tang.

Other rare fish that sometimes make it into the hobby with at least Some regularity...
Gem Tang($$$!), Conspiculatus Angel, Africanus Angel, Resplendent Angel

Thats were I bought my supermale rhomboid fairy and the pair of hooded wrasses from. I get mostly my rare stuff from him and liveaquaria.com

I wish he get a mitradus butterfly in though.

Go with the vendor that has a 2 wk guarantee. That really helps a lot!!

Also, I have been noticing that some of these fish have been marked up on all these online vendors. You guys need to stop talking about them publicly because then they find out what we like, what works and the price goes up. ;) We need a secret society. ;)

It is so true about the prices going up after things get talked about. I got a black x scopas locally for around $100 and 2 weeks later they were $500 on LA are we had some posts on here about them.

Some of the fish mentioned here are difficult and might never eat/adapt like bandits, etc. If you do get an eater, then you have a prize for sure. :)

I recommend a nice male/female pair of genicanthus like a watanabei or caduo. They are hardy, reef safe and somewhat rare. Also, for a large angel I recommend chrysurus. These are middle of the road rare fish, but also better bets than some.

If the tank you are asking about is 150g then I would stay away from the larger angels. There are still several other smaller fish that are just as rare like:

Fairy Wrasses:
From time to time liveaquaria has C. Lancelatus which are currently the "it" fairy wrasse. The supermales are stunning. They have been going for around $330 for the males and $130 for the subadults.
A Pair Rhomboids or Lineatus Wrasses would also be nice.

Pygmy Angels:
It sounds like it is that time of year for Joculator Pygmys to start showing up. They will run you anywhere from $800 - $1200 depending on the store.
Like everyone said above, Interruptus are also available right now and they usually run $1000-$1300. The juve. that Phishybusiness has right now is a true find.
Respendants are pretty much unobtainable right now because RCT is not longer breeding them and they are not being collected from the wild.

Butterflies:
You risk losing corals with any butterfly. I have kept Mitratus, Tinkers, Wrought Irons, Bannerfish, and Semilarvatus and they were all pretty destructive so I would not recommend them if you have LPS and softies.

Other Misc. rare fish:
Candy Basslet
Helfrich's firefish
Mystery Wrasse

rare fish are not expensive fish. you will always find a new specimen introduced into the hobby or find those that are very uncommon. do a little research and find what looks good and not for the price tag.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9818183#post9818183 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by triggerfish1976
If the tank you are asking about is 150g then I would stay away from the larger angels. There are still several other smaller fish that are just as rare like:

Fairy Wrasses:
From time to time liveaquaria has C. Lancelatus which are currently the "it" fairy wrasse. The supermales are stunning. They have been going for around $330 for the males and $130 for the subadults.
A Pair Rhomboids or Lineatus Wrasses would also be nice.

Pygmy Angels:
It sounds like it is that time of year for Joculator Pygmys to start showing up. They will run you anywhere from $800 - $1200 depending on the store.
Like everyone said above, Interruptus are also available right now and they usually run $1000-$1300. The juve. that Phishybusiness has right now is a true find.
Respendants are pretty much unobtainable right now because RCT is not longer breeding them and they are not being collected from the wild.

Butterflies:
You risk losing corals with any butterfly. I have kept Mitratus, Tinkers, Wrought Irons, Bannerfish, and Semilarvatus and they were all pretty destructive so I would not recommend them if you have LPS and softies.

Other Misc. rare fish:
Candy Basslet
Helfrich's firefish
Mystery Wrasse

Trigger how destructie are the Mitratus butterflies. I was considering one with my rare fish collection,no corals yet but going to have SPS's. I was also looking at the declivis, and burgess on liveaquarias diver den.

My speciman was pretty destructive. It ate and killed an open brain in less than two days and picked at all of my SPS. I am usually pretty forgiving when my angels pick at corals because they usually do not do any damage but the Mitratus was doing more than I usually will tolerate so I got rid of it when I tore down the old tank.

I probably won't get another large angel, since I have a medium size blue face already. Here is what I have in my tank. 150g, with the medium size blue face, large blonde naso, a multicolor angel, 2 pairs of clownfish, large carpet aneneme, 2 sea urchin and 2 shrimps.
I want to add 2 more fish.
thanks,

Back