RC 75 DIY Stand and Sump

Here is how the sock holders turned out with the filter socks in place.

Using a 20 gallon high allowed me house the extra height in the tank to accommodate longer filter socks.

Last edited:
Drain Pipe Mount

I wanted to make sure the drain pipe was supported in place. For this item, I glued two layers of acrylic together. The bottom later was offset to accommodate the plastic lip of the black aquarium rim. I drilled a hold for the drain pipe bulkhead the siliconed it in place.

This is the drain pipe holder siliconed in place with the glass cover notched out around it.

Last edited:
Filter Sock Silencers

I saw this item online called a sock silencer. It is designed to spread the water before it falls and reduce water noise. There is a 1 inch hole in the center that is designed as an overflow, if all the small drain holes plug.

Conveniently, I used the leftover round filter sock holder cut outs. First, countersink each hole, then drilled through the counter sinks. It turns out there is minimal benefit for reducing water sound, but they make a good filter for snails and larger debris.

Last edited:
Here are the finished sock silencers with the center overflow hole. These fit snug inside the filter sock rim.

The center overflow tubes are made from air conditioner drain pipe. This is thin wall plastic, something like schedule 21 PVC.

Last edited:
Equipment placement in the sump.

This was a dry run to see how the skimmer and pump fit.

Last edited:
Hmm....wonder where you might have seen that technique......:fun4:

Here maybe?

The silicone job looks very clean. Much better than I did on mine.

RocketEngineer —There were several techniques I saw for gluing in baffles. I don't remember who's they were, until you mentioned this. Yours made the most sense! It saved me time and made the build perfectly square. Thanks for pointing this out.

Last edited:
i would lose the wheels, from all of my reading here its a very bad idea to move a tank with water in it. Very nice build.

cidbozek "” I have seen the same information on moving a tank. I have my fingers crossed I won't need to! Thanks for noticing the build.

Love the clean lines of your stand! I'm curious to see how you utilize equipment tray once your further into setting up your system.

Following along

Jreed983 "”Thanks the nice words. I like the European look too. I have been working on stocking the equipment tray and will share the progress on it.

Great looking build! Make sure that you can remove that skimmer from the sump, and also the return pump. It looks like it will be a challenge once installed in the cabinet. Thats always a problem with tall sumps and baffles.

Placed Sump in the Stand

This is the sump in the stand with the skimmer and return pump.

The skimmer cup and return pump are relatively easy to remove, but not the skimmer without sliding the sump out a few inches.

Last edited:
A friend who owns a flooring company found this dense rubber tile in their warehouse. I lined the bottom of the cabinet this. This makes a waterproof surface and should help dampen some vibration.

Both layers are made of dense rubber and will not absorb water.

Last edited:
Staring to place gear in the equipment tray

I mentioned the equipment tray earlier in the stand build. Its designed to hold the controls on the front and the wires and equipment inside. This allow the wires to lay loose and hidden. It also allows me to unplug and remove equipment relatively easy without any disassembly.

The equipment tray doors used to mount tank controls.

Last edited:
Inside the equipment tray

The inside is quite messy, but this way by design.

The battery back up's are mounted on the sides and the the light transformer above.

The doors have an inch opening at the bottom for the cords.

Last edited:
Very Nice build. I understand the concern about the wheels but hope you would be all right with the move-on-wheels if you pull all/most of the water out first. Love the equipment tray.

Great looking build! Make sure that you can remove that skimmer from the sump, and also the return pump. It looks like it will be a challenge once installed in the cabinet. Thats always a problem with tall sumps and baffles.

Fudz Cwerner "”Thanks for looking. You are right about a tall sump making it more difficult to pull the skimmer. There is plenty of space to service the skimmer cup and return pump, but he sump needs to move a few inches to remove the skimmer. How often should one remove the skimmer for a full cleaning?

Very Nice build. I understand the concern about the wheels but hope you would be all right with the move-on-wheels if you pull all/most of the water out first. Love the equipment tray.

shellsea "” Thank you; so far installing the gear with the equipment tray seems too easy. If I have to move the tank, it will mean rolling it about 2 ft or so. As you suggested, I would lighten the load as much as possible.

Putting the tank, stand and sump together.

Almost all the equipment is in, except for the ATO and the plumbing.

75 gallon tank set

Received the Ecotech RMS tank mount arm for the lights. The quality is impressive.

Last edited:
Very clean setup, nice to see it all come together so seamlessly. Guess that's a credit to your planning. Can't wait to see it all running with livestock and corals!

Love your setup. I may copycat for my first SW setup.

cmoore806 "”Thank you, I'm glad you like the build. I picked up many good ideas through the forums. My hope is there might be something helpful to from this thread for you and others in your tanks builds.

Very clean setup, nice to see it all come together so seamlessly. Guess that's a credit to your planning. Can't wait to see it all running with livestock and corals!

itzonlithai "” Thank you, so good so far on the set up. Much credit is due to the contributors of the forums, from where the ideas for this build were compiled.

Back