RD3 Speedy BBK Mini 200 "Er"

Asthix

Hello,

After purchasing this BBK Mini 200 skimmer used, after few month only, i got this "Er" message displayed on the controller.

I took out the whole pump and soaked it in vinegar with no success.

The impeller is turning smoothly by hand with no resistance, everything is 100% clean as i checked and double checked.

When i plug it in, the rotor start turning slowly, like 40rpm for 5 seconds, then stops, then rotates again after few seconds and then stop.
After a few trial, the message "Er" is displayed.

I contacted the customer service, they told me it's probably the motor block that need to be replaced...
How can i make sure at 100% that i don't order it and the issue comes from somewhere else?
Is there like a define coil resistance of the motor block to measure?

Thanks in advance,
Kevin

Hello,

After purchasing this BBK Mini 200 skimmer used, after few month only, i got this "Er" message displayed on the controller.

I took out the whole pump and soaked it in vinegar with no success.

The impeller is turning smoothly by hand with no resistance, everything is 100% clean as i checked and double checked.

When i plug it in, the rotor start turning slowly, like 40rpm for 5 seconds, then stops, then rotates again after few seconds and then stop.
After a few trial, the message "Er" is displayed.

I contacted the customer service, they told me it's probably the motor block that need to be replaced...
How can i make sure at 100% that i don't order it and the issue comes from somewhere else?
Is there like a define coil resistance of the motor block to measure?

Thanks in advance,
Kevin

Where are you located? Just soaking the pump in vinegar without taking it apart and scrubbing it properly won’t typically solve problems like you are nothing.

Since you bought this pump/skimmer used, I suspect the previous owner probably didn’t take the pump apart and clean it and rinse it before taking it offline which results in the minerals and salt drying up inside the motor. This can create friction points in the motor that will prevent the motor from starting up properly and cause the err message. The motor and controller maintain bi-directional communication and if the RPM doesn’t match the expected Wattage setting, the pump can sense that and it will trigger error messages and or codes depending on the situation.

My advice would be to take it completely apart. Soak the motor, impeller and pump cover in straight household distilled vinegar for 10 minutes. No more, not less. Scrub inside the motor blocks magnet cavity using a toothbrush. Be sure to scrub the small bushing at the bottom of the magnet cavity where the end of the impeller shaft sits into as that is one of the friction points. Scrub the magnet and rotor with a soft dish brush. Rinse everything well when you are done. Be sure that the round plate between the magnet and rotor spins freely with a little bit of play. That is the 2nd friction point.

Sorry I wasn't clear , the pump was completely disassembled after the "Er" message, as said everything is smoothly rotating with no blocage or anything...

I did hope that a full cleaning could solve the issue but I've seen it wasn't...

The customer service in germany told me to replace the motor block. I'm currently living in France.

I don't know what's more could be checked or done ?

Thanks!

Sorry I wasn't clear , the pump was completely disassembled after the "Er" message, as said everything is smoothly rotating with no blocage or anything...

I did hope that a full cleaning could solve the issue but I've seen it wasn't...

The customer service in germany told me to replace the motor block. I'm currently living in France.

I don't know what's more could be checked or done ?

Thanks!

Not much more you can do. For what its worth, I know you think it spins freely but that doesn’t mean there isn’t friction that you may not notice in one of the two friction points I mentioned previously. And the impeller won’t spin completely “freely” in the motor due to the magnetivity of the impeller and motor block so that makes it tough to really tell what kind of friction there is or isn’t. Especially since the friction occurs in places you can’t see. But if you took it apart and cleaned it as I suggested above, then there isn’t much more you can do. While it is likely to be the motorblock, since you don’t have a spare motor, impeller and controller to verify the issue, where small, there is a risk of it being something else. You could always send your pump to the factory and let them determine if it’s the block just to insure you don’t buy a block and end up needing an impeller or controller. Just a thought.

Back