Re-calibrating various meters

cvrle1

I was able to get to the box of old equipment that I had from my 1st foray into SW aquariums. Threw a bunch of stuff out that was no good, but have 3 meters that I should be able to use still, but that would need re-calibration.

Milwaukee CD 97 TDS Meter
Milwaukee PH51 Waterproof Ph Tester/meter
RHS-10ATC Refractometer

Before I can use these, I would need to re-calibrate them all, as they were not used for over 5 years, and just sitting in their boxes stored away.

I also guess i should change electrode on the pH meter, as it was sitting dry for all this time?

All of them came with instructions on how to calibrate them, but they all say use this specific solution or that specific solution. What my question is, are there any better liquids/solutions I can use for calibration, or should I scour internet for the specific ones listed? As example TDS meter says to use M10080 solution, while pH meter says use M10070 then M10004 and then M10010.

Like I said I will figure out what they are and get them from internet somewhere, so that hopefully shouldnt be an issue, but wanted to see if there are better solutions or better ways of going about this before I buy ones mentioned.

Thanks for the help.

You do not need to use the company specific calibration solution.. But if it calls for a PH7 solution then you need to use someones PH7 solution or 35ppt salinity solution you need someones 35ppt salinity calibration fluid..

Last edited:
You do not need to use the company specific calibration solution.. But if it calls for a PH7 solution then you need to use someones PH7 solution or 35ppt salinity solution you need someones 35ppt salinity calibration fluid..

Thanks for the info. For pH it states, pH7, then 4 then 10 for various calibrations, so I guess I can search for those then. Are there any solutions that are better than others, or are they all same? Guess there shouldnt be any differences, but wanted to check just in case i am wrong.

Do you think i should replace the probe as well, since it was sitting dry for years?

Back