(Re)stocking an established tank

GhotiGuy

I have a 90 gallon reef tank that has been up and running for more than 12 years. For the last eight or so, I’ve only had a Tomini Tang, a Dusty Angel and two yellow tail blue damsels. The tang, who was in the tank the longest at about 10 years, recently passed away and I’m thinking about re-invigorating the livestock a bit. However, I’m concerned about the “established” fish who are going to wonder about sharing their tank with others and may become aggressive to the newcomers as they are introduced. I’m planning to move the scenery around to disrupt territories, but first I’m wondering about the best fish to add (and in what order).

Here’s my list so far of fish that I’m considering, not that I plan on adding all of these:
Striped Bristletooth or Kole Tang (would go in last, I assume)
Scott’s Fairy Wrasse (would need to come after the other Wrasses or not at all?)
3 to 4 Golden Wrasses or Carpenter Fairy Wrasses or Filamented Flasher Wrasses
Red lip Blenny
Rainford’s Goby
Sharknose Goby
Purple Firefish

Thoughts about the selections or order? I appreciate the feedback and help!

The purple firefish would have to be first.
Very shidish, YT damsel likely to bully.
I put new entries in an clear acclimatization box in the early morning, watch the safe interaction, then release just after lights out.
You may wish to consider a captive bred YT with the Kole tang, those guys go last and at the same time.
Tight lid.
C3F60FC0-0669-42B8-91EC-4D0D403D3098.jpeg

Thanks for the input. Do you think it would make sense to add the firefish, gobies and blennies at the same time to make it less likely any one of them gets picked on?
I have learned to put multiple new fish in at one time. It definitely can help with minimalizing bullying. Fish seem to have a hierarchy and any newcomer is at the bottom. However, with multiple newcomers, even the established residents are somewhat off balance by the additions and possible shift in power.

The purple firefish would have to be first.
Very shidish, YT damsel likely to bully.
I put new entries in an clear acclimatization box in the early morning, watch the safe interaction, then release just after lights out.
You may wish to consider a captive bred YT with the Kole tang, those guys go last and at the same time.
Tight lid.
View attachment 32371065
Love the acclimatization box. Where did you get that?

Back