read your article on QT

PARADISE1

Hi,

This is my first time posting - please be kind. :fish1:

I read your article on QT. :reading: I have a question about pests imported on live rock.

I recently bought 75 gal tank, pre-salted water, live sand, and live rock. It has been cycling w/o lights for 3 weeks now. The parameters are good - checked weekly.

The gentleman from the LFS helped me to select good live rock for aquascaping. One rock had a baby brittle star, an oyster embedded in the rock, and a small little unknown thing. The staff said it was a baby feather duster and said it was a great find.

But... after reading your article, I saw the picture of the aiptasia! I am wondering if that is it??? and not a feather duster. I looked in my cycling tank and saw two small light brown looking "feather dusters".

At this point, I am wondering, should I take the rock out and scrub it? :uzi: :hammer: Is the oyster safe? He opens and closes.

Or... do you think all is well since it has been cycling for 3 weeks w/o lights?

My ultimate goal is to move my 2 fish, hermit crab, and xenia from my established 10 gal nano (everyone is healthy and parameters are good in the nano) and move them into the new 75 gal. I will make the nano a qt tank.

Any thoughts on this? Please help.

*I'm not sure if this should be posted under Beginner Discussion first... I will post it there.

Last edited:
Pictures would help identify the anemone/feather duster and would also help clue us/you in to how knowledgeable your LFS staff are.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13398444#post13398444 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Freed
Pictures would help identify the anemone/feather duster and would also help clue us/you in to how knowledgeable your LFS staff are.
I agree, but even worse cae scenario and you do have aiptasia, I would not scrub the rock. There are far more effective means of dealing with them. But first things first, let's figure out what you have.

I will work on my camera and try to take a picture. I compared with the pix of aiptasia on this site. After looking... I think it is!

I saw 4 to 5 of them. I will check again and work on a photo today.

Thanks

Hi Steven!

I searched the web all last night and it is definetly aiptasia. I eaxctly like the pics from:

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=803632

My tank is in week 3 of cycling and my lights do not arrive until tomorrow. It is too dark for the pix and my digital camera is not sufficent. :(

I saw the various solutions recommended. I do have good hitchikers like 2 small brittle stars and an oyster. I do not want to hurt them.

I would like to gaet a clean up crew asap to help as well.

What is the safest method at this point? I have seen 5-7 aiptasia but I dont know if any are hidden.

Thank you for your time and effort.

I work for Red Sea now. As such, I travel around to stores across the country and I always carry a bottle of Aiptasia-X with me. I always find some aiptasia in the stores and demo the product for them. I have yet to hear back from any store that an aiptasia I treated reappeared.

Thanks!

Is it okay to apply directly full strength using a pipette or indirectly in hopes of preventing it going into self defense -spreading ?

Also, should I suck them out w/ a turkey baster?

Back