Reboot of 180G

Little back story tank has been sitting for about two years just running.

No coral or fish were left in it just rock.

I am now looking to restart it. Its a bare bottom setup with lots of flow.

In the past i had med size fish and this time I would like to go more for quantity on the fish setup. Anyone have a setup similar to what I am trying to do that can give some recommendations on fish?

Coral will come afterwards.

I don't have a setup that size - but have had numerous fish over the years, starting with a FO tank back in the late 80's

I think that with a tank that size you can actually get some small schooling going on - which is always something very pleasing to watch. Chrmomis, Anthias and the like. Maybe avoid the stuff that you know is likely to bully and ruin the atmosphere (powder blue, and other large tangs, etc.) and go with small angels, and smaller tangs (scopas, purple) or small brisstletooth.

On the other side of things, some of my favorite fish are the triggers and groupers, but they just don't fit well into mixed reefs.

I don't have a setup that size - but have had numerous fish over the years, starting with a FO tank back in the late 80's

I think that with a tank that size you can actually get some small schooling going on - which is always something very pleasing to watch. Chrmomis, Anthias and the like. Maybe avoid the stuff that you know is likely to bully and ruin the atmosphere (powder blue, and other large tangs, etc.) and go with small angels, and smaller tangs (scopas, purple) or small brisstletooth.

On the other side of things, some of my favorite fish are the triggers and groupers, but they just don't fit well into mixed reefs.
Thanks for feedback. I would agree on the triggers as for I have had a few over the years. Never done Anthias before should I look for certain ones and stay away from others since I know its a large family?

Thanks for feedback. I would agree on the triggers as for I have had a few over the years. Never done Anthias before should I look for certain ones and stay away from others since I know its a large family?
@Dr. Reef can maybe answer that better.

I have had fish since the late 70's when I was a kid and started saltwater in the late 80's and reefing in the late 1990s. I know DIY, physics, engineering and logic... but sadly very little about most fish or coral. I just never paid much attention ;)

I know some anthias are far harder to care for than others and some don't do well in groups in small environments. Dr. Reef or somebody else here can provide a lot more help.

I would ghost feed the tank atleast once a week and just before placing any fish i would feed the tank 3 times that week. 1 cube of food each time.
You want the bacteria to get going again. Anthias are nice schooling fish and i have a very good source for them as well if needed. PM me or email at quarantinedfish@gmail.com and i will be happto help you.

Back