recirculating vs regular skimmer

DaveG99

I know the difference is the recirculating skimmer has a pump feeding it as well as a pump running the skimmer. But what is the advantage of one way or the other?

Recirculating allows for longer contact time in the skimmer, and more air introduced per gallon of water introduced. Plus you have more options with skimmer placement.(internal/external)

A regular skimmer doesnt need an extra pump to feed it, and tends to be less expensive.

With some of the newer 'high efficiency' skimmers and how they work (ATI bubblemaster, RE bubbleking, CoralVue Extreme/Pro, ATB Cone, KZ, etc.... you get the picture) vs. more traditional designs, the recirculating option provides little to no performance advantage as far as 'extended contact time' goes.

One of the real "advantages" is that you do not need to maintain a steady water level in the skimmer area if you use a recirc skimmer in-sump. So if for some reason your sump level varies, this type of skimmer would perform better in this circumstance.

Cheers,

An advantage of a recirculating skimmer is that it can be "gravity fed" undiluted surface water directly from the overflow.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14129878#post14129878 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by hahnmeister
With some of the newer 'high efficiency' skimmers and how they work (ATI bubblemaster, RE bubbleking, CoralVue Extreme/Pro, ATB Cone, KZ, etc.... you get the picture) vs. more traditional designs, the recirculating option provides little to no performance advantage as far as 'extended contact time' goes.

I completely agree. There was a time when you could not inject enough air into the column, to compensate for this, you could recirc your skimmer. Like Hahn said above, I do not think it is as necessary anymore with the newer pumps and options out there.

milked is milked there comes a time when you need some space in the skimmer for water and adding more air wont help performance

Yeah those new skimmer designs may be more efficient than cylinder recirculating designs, but that won't stop manufacturers from making recirc-cones in the near future and hyping them as improvements on the original design which I believe they will be. Control of the process flow provides an engineering advantage to any skimmer and gives it more flexibility/controlability like when trying to control some skimmers that are tempermental and overflow alot or not running a consistant sump level. I don't have these issues, but it seems many on RC do and recirc skimmers make the skimmer more predictable and easier to live with. You all just wait and see when the recirculating cones come out and the things they will hype/write about them. They might say something like 'there's something about this recirculating cone skimmer." Hmmm.

I wouldnt say its 'hype'... some people simply want to run external rather than internal, and so recirc is what you have to do.

Recirc cones have been out for a while... I have one. They werent a high priority at first, but demand was high.

There are some mechanical advantages that you mention, some not exclusive to only recirc/external, but often that is the case. Having the mixing pump draw from the same body of water that its blowing back into eliminates any back pressure that would happen if you have the mixing pump drawing from say... a 8" sump water depth and pushing into a 24" tall water height. Recirc with more traditional designs (counter current) also means you can mount a larger pump on a smaller body and not have to worry about microbubbles flying out of the outlet because the throughput (say, 200-300gph) is less than the mixing pump's throughput (say, 900gph).

Yeah your right, hype is probably not the best word. Hey so you have a recirc-cone. So does it have any advantages over a standard cone or is it mainly an option for those who want to run external?

I'm running an internal cone skimmer, and I do kinda miss the set and forget simplicity of a recirc skimmer. It is certainly taking me longer to get this one dialed in...

This thread does a pretty good job of describing the pros and cons of each config. With newer pump/skimmer technology single-pass skimmers have caught up with recirc designs for skimming efficiency. However, based on your system/sump desing, one style may be a better fit.

I have used allot of skimmers and I'll proly never buy a in sump.
What I like most about the RC skimmers, you have more control of the skimmer and it looks cleaner on a set up. It's very nice to drain the skimmer and pull it out of the stand for cleaning. My insump skimmer got salt creep no matter how clean I keepet them.IMO both skimme good.

Hey Guys

I know this is an old thread but I've recently been considering some mods to my last skimmer design, a BK Mini-200 knock off with a recirc mod,...

DSCN1775.JPG

and this subject has been on my mind. Specifically, I'm considering switching to single pass.

Allowing for the higher water:air ratios the newer foam pumps (Red Dragon, SICCE, etc) produce I see that, from the perspective of the foam pump only, recirc doesn't have an advantage over single pass.

However, I noticed in my testing that the higher the venturi head pressure at startup the lower the max air draw. In other words, if you start a skimmer empty the max air draw will be higher than if you start it full.

As I was filling my skimmer the air draw increased. It peaked at around 8". At around 15" it started to drop off. I realize the levels will vary by pump but the trend held across all the pumps I tested.

Do the recommended water levels for single pass skimmers take this into account?

Back