Recommended Tank Height

I'm tall (6' 3") and have a hard time getting all the way to the bottom of my 30" tall tank. I always design my stands so that the tank rim is at armpit height, even so it can be a pain. I'd certainly never go more than 30" high. More deeper (width) is better though.

Well put Simon, I too have the same problem and I'm not 6'3" sticking your arm all the way down to your armpit grabbing stuff off the sand gets old quickly

If you're under 6' tall, forget about anything taller then 24", you'll go swimming before you reach the damn algae clip that WILL fall behind the rocks.

As for the hex, you may find that all those vertical seams become an eyesore after they get caked up with algae, coralline, etc. Cleaning is another PITA, the corners on a rectangular tank are hard...add another.

Great advice. Thanks everyone. I'm 6'3, so maybe I could handle >24" but after taking a look at some tanks in person (and imagining how uncomfortable it'd be with the edge digging into my ribs) I think I will play it safe.

Also, good point about the Hex with cleaning.

Back