Red Firefish Info

thecichlidpleco

Just got a red firefish at the LPS for $10. Looked healthy and was a steal. I knew general info about them but can anyone else share their experiences. Also, do they experience any color morphs or are they all the same?

I have had 2, awesome fish.
A known jumper you will need to have a canopy of hood on the tank. I wouldn't keep them with tank bullies (A Clarki Clown killed the first).
Mine are in the open 24/7 but I have a friend who just got some and they seem to hide a lot, maybe still getting used to the tank.

I feed mine mysis and brine, it will eat about anything though.

Have never heard of them changing color....

First one

Firefish.jpg

Second one

PinkYuma.jpg

I have a pair of red firefish as well. I had 3 to start, but the smaller one was bullied and jumped to it's dead ... in the overflow, down to the basement into a 70 gallon sump and jumped out down there. They are known jumpers, but I also have a canopy on the tank.

They are a neat fish and I have them with other peaceful fish so they are not picked on. There is also a pair of Onyx Clowns and are not bothered by them. They will bolt into a hole in a rock that they establish when frightened and they will sleep in that same hole as well. I had the pair with a Purple firefish as well and they all got along.

They pretty much eat anything I put in the tank from frozen to flake to small pellet food.

I enjoy the look of purples, if I were to get one, would it be better to get pair of reds and pair of purples, or just one of each?

I agree, the Purples are stunning! I started with the 3 Reds and added a larger Purple and there were zero issues. The Purple disappeared after I shut the lights off for 24 hours in an attempt to stop an algae issue. I figure he was eaten by a large red hermit I had as there was nothing else in the tank that would harm it. If you have one red, maybe a pair of purples would be fine.

The first fish that I ever owned was a firefish. He was a great fish and always hung out in the middle of the tank.

73065firefish1.jpg

Had him for over a year. Then I switched out my acrylic covers for eggcrate and found him shriveled up on the floor one day. The little guy actually made it through one of the holes in the eggcrate. :(

You have a beautiful Firefish Mike!!! Mine look very similar. I have two of them but I'm not sure what sex they are. I have heard that two of the same sex will keep their distance, but mine are always together. Does this mean they are different sexes?

Back