Red Planet Die-Off

64Ivy

B'rer Reefer
Team RC
I've always been led to believe that die-off such as this (when the dead coral is greenish) is usually caused by the wicking of phosphates up into the stem. I find that hard to believe in this instance as the LR is less than two years old. I'm thinking this is simply an example of too little light underneath the piece and the boring (?) algae is secondary. I'm planning to combat this by painting gel at the die-off line rather than fragging the coral at this point. Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Red-Planet-Die-Off.jpg

I'm pretty sure all large SPS have this happen eventually.....I've never seen healthy tissue dowen underneath the coral. I think this is just part of how a natural reef is formed really.......

yes leave it alone, it has happen to me before, and as you've said its probably light deprevation.....

sana

Agreed! I believe this to be normal and willing to bet that this also happens in the wild as well. I also have this on my larger pieces.

That has happened to a few of my large colonies and I just let them be and they were fine. Lack of flow has a lot to do with the recession when pieces get big. A drop in alk has also caused recession for me but things came back when alk stabilized.

I have the same thing on my Red table colonie.So far i keep my eye on it, but i dont think its a boig deal since there is not much light and flow under a big colonie

happens on all my buddie's colonies in the shaded spots or under side of branches. I got a big hunk of cali tort from him and it was like that in places, now that it's in good light it's quickly encrusting over the dead spots.

Good to hear. I wonder if those of you who use starboard on the bottom have this issue.

Same thing in both tanks with my RP, but my salinity played a part as it creeped up to .030

They are coming back but look just like yours with NO tissue on the underside. Both pieces are in HEAVY flow too.

Back