Red Sea Maximas?

wjgeese

Remember when these were all the rage?
Does anyone still have any of these in their tanks?

Dont suppose we'll be seeing these again anytime soon.

Bill

I remember. I remember wanting some so bad I'd kill for them. :eek2: :D

The majority of the red sea maximas I saw were a solid powder blue color. Dare I say the mantles looked slightly different from other maximas. The eyespots on these clams were almost always dark brown to black.

Solid powder blue with no spots, no striations. Nothing. I also saw a few that were solid blue/green. These clams looked so good you could take a bite out of them. In May of 1997 a store called Tropical Marine Paradise had over 100 of them. All of them the same solid blue or solid blue/green color. This was in York, Pennsylvania.

Since then I have yet to be able to locate these clams, and it seems to me that these days a maxima is a Red Sea Maxima if a dealer calls it that. Sad. The era of wild caught clams is gone... of course back then I didn't know anybody with "mysterious clam diseases" or disasters of this sort.

In my opinion the coveted rarest clam of all is also solid blue. It is a dark, iridescent solid blue. If you can imagine a navy blue that looks like pearl paint on a car, you have it. No markings on it, just solid blue glowing iridescence.

I don't believe that teardrop maximas are the rarest because they exist in a few locations in the world. You can collect one with no problem if you look for it.

But the blue I'm talking about has only been found a few times. 2 or 3 maximum. (That I know of.) Beautiful clams are easy to come by... truly spectacular clams, now, nobody has them. Including myself.

Back