Red slime

Bagz

I have a 29 reef tank that has been setup for about 6 months i have 40lbs LR 30lbs LS, PS and a fluval 404 just for water movement which gets cleaned once a week. All my levels in my tank are fine, Amonia o, rite 0, rate 0 just the phosphate is high. now ive been sphoing the sandf lightly to clean jsut suck up the algea to remove it but it jsut comes back. also im doing 5 gallon water change a week. I use Ro/DI water too i dont no what the problem is help me plz

How many fish are in your tank?

How often do you feed?

How old are your lights? (and what type are they)

The first two questions point to a high bio-load that may be causing your algae growth.

The last question is geared towards your lighting... many bulbs when they get older tend to produce different wave lengths of light that may contribute to unpleasent algae growth.

Dave

well the lights are brand new PC JBJ 130 watts i have 2 small clowns 2 PJ cardnals 1 biocolor 1 lanmover blenny. 1 star. 1 fire shrimp and a few snails and crabs..the problem just start like a 2 weeks ago

well the lights are brand new PC JBJ 130 watts i have 2 small clowns 2 PJ cardnals 1 biocolor 1 lanmover blenny. 1 star. 1 fire shrimp and a few snails and crabs..the problem just start like a 2 weeks ago

Red slime is usually some species cyanobacteria, many of which enjoy dissolved organic compounds in the water. I'd recommend a live refugium and a high quality protein skimmer. You mentioned that phosphates are high, what are they reading? You need to find a way to get them down:
1) Eliminate the sources
mysis shrimp, cheap salt mix, and some brands of activated carbon are all known sources of phosphates. You can use the phosphate test kit to check your fresh made saltwater and activated carbon, if any.

2) Get rid of what's already in the tank
Phosban in the bottom compartment of your Fluval will do this.

Back