Reef Check Foundation has issued an URGENT CALL TO ACTION

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you're a reef keeper and you are making the pledge then you wouldn't buy wild collected animals or collect them yourself. Just keep aquacultured ones.

>Sarah

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9451175#post9451175 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by virginiadiver69
That doesn't seem practical to me.

People do it, lots do. Either by trading frags with other reefers or buying from stores who grow their own corals. It is a viable way to maintain a thriving reef while helping out a little as per oceanic reef destruction.

Somes stores will have sections dedicated to such corals, with pressure likely more will.

Its not just corals, but all reef organisms. RC is aware of the issue and hopefully will make a change to the declaration soon.

I know this is done to a certain extent but honestly, what percentage of aquarists maintain a tank that is 100% aqua-cultured? That is coral, rock, fish, inverts(including snails)?

That doesn't sound like an URGENT CALL TO ACTION! to me. I don't seem to remember the petition saying "do what you can" either.
What percentage does it take to make yourself feel good?

Last time I checked aquacultured live rock looked like crap and does not even filter as well as non-aquacultured, so without live rock your reef wont survive, also say goodbye to any tangs, wrasses, hermit crabs, astrea snails, serpent stars, and tons of other things that are wild caught and probably always be that way.

Well then I looks like a lot of people dont give a "SHT" about natural reefs. I might suggest taking up scuba diving and go visit one. OH WELL... I'm glad that you have a hobby that you can enjoy...

well, they need to start giving a SHT, and quit stirring the pot... or this hobby will really dwindle down in the next 40 to 50 years, because eventually all of it will be outlawed from coming out of the ocean....

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9451118#post9451118 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Samala
If you're a reef keeper and you are making the pledge then you wouldn't buy wild collected animals or collect them yourself. Just keep aquacultured ones.

>Sarah

Nope, this is not enough. Remember all the power your reef uses + all the power consumed culturing the frags = CO2 = global warming = destruction of reefs.

the 500w-1000w/hour your reef might use is squat in the big picture...i mean, just think of the millions of street lamps in the U.S., each probably 300w-500w that burn all night for no real good reason outside of detering crime. How about the state aquariums, 24/7 wawa's/711's,the billboards in time square, etc etc. I think we all realize that we collectlively are destroying the planet, but until you get some mandatory laws or something, if everyone isn't on board then it really doesn't matter does it?

I think it's dangerous to say something like "reef tanks only use 1/200th the energy of the lights for an entire street"

Though the observation is valid it doesn't change the fact that the reef tanks are using energy. In the big picture any single reef tank may seem insignificant, however collectively they add up. Sure someone will tell me, ah well not that much. But everything does count.

Yes, there may be bigger fish to fry (Times Square as sayn3ver mentioned, etc.) but IMO the individual efforts do add up. Probably someone like Virginiadiver will chime in and say bah, you're just a little fish in a big ocean (sorry to use the fish analogy twice in one post) who cares we're all doomed anyways because China (insert any developing country here) is burning so much coal.

That's a dangerous train of thought. It's a social trend that we don't want to see in our society, at least I know I don't. Nothing will ever get done.

Until we start taking responsibility for our own imprint we won't change (short of legislation mandating it). We deny that our own negative or positive contribution to the entire system exists... Yet when we can directly measure it we are sure to notice.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9459194#post9459194 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by virginiadiver69
I know this is done to a certain extent but honestly, what percentage of aquarists maintain a tank that is 100% aqua-cultured? That is coral, rock, fish, inverts(including snails)?

Including the fish food you feed your fish. Most is wild caught fish turned into mash and them modled into flake form.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9633455#post9633455 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Rosseau
Probably someone like Virginiadiver will chime in and say bah, you're just a little fish in a big ocean (sorry to use the fish analogy twice in one post) who cares we're all doomed anyways because China (insert any developing country here) is burning so much coal.

First off... I do not believed we are "doomed". I leave that to the evangelists and environmentalist.
Second... the ONLY point I have been consistently trying to point out is the utter hypocrisy of your movement. You all patt yourselves on the back for signing a petition (that not a SINGLE reef keeper can actually abide by) or screwing some PC light bulbs in or even worse...try to pawn of your guilt of keeping a reef tank by saying it's educational or "for the children".

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9633568#post9633568 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Rosseau
Until we start taking responsibility for our own imprint we won't change (short of legislation mandating it). We deny that our own negative or positive contribution to the entire system exists... Yet when we can directly measure it we are sure to notice.

Doctor...heal thyself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back