reef dynamics ins 135 leaking

Nimitz87

hello, all during my maint. last week I noticed my skimmer was about half full compared to normal. I took it out and ran it in vinegar for a few hours and noticed that the plumbing going into the body of the skimmer glue was broken and leaking.:(

I was hoping to replace the plumbing. Possibly using bulkheads to secure it to the body of the skimmer instead of the glue/plastic weld but I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to plumbing and was wondering if someone could point me in the right direction of the parts that I need or how I can make this work.

the large pipe at the bottom is 1 1/4" I think the other one is 1"

here is a picture and short video of me babbling about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8u3aRtnZWA&feature=youtu.be

5538572521429769779%253Faccount_id%253D0

I also went ahead and already cut the plumbing out, so if I can't replace it I guess I'm screwed and need a new skimmer?

Last edited:
reef dynamics ins 135 leaking

If you can get your hand down there to separate the plumbing maybe you can use a uniseal. If not I would try gobbing on some thick super glue gel before you toss it if nothing else

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You could also go with aquarium safe silicone if you want but with a uniseal you would be able to remove the plumbing when you need for maintenance and replacement

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Reef Dynamics used an uni-seal. The two 90 degree elbows are only held by friction and the schedule 80 pipe in-between is what wedges the uni-seal tight.
You cannot utilize a bulkhead because of the cylinder surface hence the uni-seal.
You can probably get new uni-seals from Bulk Reef Supply and just replace the short piece of schedule 80 pipe that you had cut and put the outflow pipe back together.

Is that an INS135S with the sicce? If so I'm pretty sure there were no uniseal and they were welded seams. Its schedule 80, so if you cut it out you're not technically screwed. you just would have do a little more work. you'd have to find 2 x 90's and some straight pipe and i would suggest a hot glue gun. the tricky part will be getting the 90 inside the body to slip fit into the 90 off the riser assembly. once you do that though, you can just secure using a hot glue gun.

glue guns and schedule 80 pieces are easy to find

glue gun i have used
https://www.amazon.com/Glue-Gun-Top...946&sr=8-2-spons&keywords=hot+glue+guns&psc=1

Last edited:
i haven't tried on my 80S but if the 90's aren't glued and they are only press fit, then you can just pry the pieces out of the 90's and cut a small section off the existing stand pipe to join them. that way you wouldn't need to go search for 90's. Just a thought. great performing skimmers!!!!!

Is that an INS135S with the sicce? If so I'm pretty sure there were no uniseal and they were welded seams. Its schedule 80, so if you cut it out you're not technically screwed. you just would have do a little more work. you'd have to find 2 x 90's and some straight pipe and i would suggest a hot glue gun. the tricky part will be getting the 90 inside the body to slip fit into the 90 off the riser assembly. once you do that though, you can just secure using a hot glue gun.

glue guns and schedule 80 pieces are easy to find

glue gun i have used
https://www.amazon.com/Glue-Gun-Top...946&sr=8-2-spons&keywords=hot+glue+guns&psc=1

thanks yup, it's the welded seams and not uniseal. never thought of using hot glue.

Back