Reef fish

Saltwater fish in general should be more expensive IMHO. hey ! it would lower the death of fish as well ! we wont have so many in experienced reefers buying fish they cant keep saying meh, its only 50 bucks ...

I strongly disagree with this. The idea that how much a fish costs affects its care isn't really valid.

There are plenty of people out there with tons of money to spend.

Plenty of people take great care of cheap fish, and plenty of people see expensive fish as status symbols.

I strongly disagree with this. The idea that how much a fish costs affects its care isn't really valid.

There are plenty of people out there with tons of money to spend.

Plenty of people take great care of cheap fish, and plenty of people see expensive fish as status symbols.

I never said that's 100% of cases :)

higher price for me = more money fro 3rd world fisherman = him willing to listen to more humane ways !

lets be honest, if you had to feed your family, many ppl would do unethical things ... and that is the case here, the fisherman simply has to catch and sell XXX number of fish at LEAST, to make a living ... and wont listen to anyone, but if he made his living after 4 fishes, he would listen and ... [or might just get rich and move to a first world country :p lol]

I never said that's 100% of cases :)

higher price for me = more money fro 3rd world fisherman = him willing to listen to more humane ways !

lets be honest, if you had to feed your family, many ppl would do unethical things ... and that is the case here, the fisherman simply has to catch and sell XXX number of fish at LEAST, to make a living ... and wont listen to anyone, but if he made his living after 4 fishes, he would listen and ... [or might just get rich and move to a first world country :p lol]

If he made more money per fish then he will be motivated to catch more fish and this just may result in methods that we find inhumane. Its simple economics actually. Think of the how the housing market has been. When prices went up the builders were finding any piece of vacant land so that they can slap houses on them. Things got out of control and houses were popping up everywhere. Prices for other items, such as pools, concrete, crown molding, etc, also went up. Also, everyone and their mother became a Realtor and Loan Officer because the business was so lucrative. No one cared about the consequence because they were too busy making money. Now, what do we have left? A bunch of foreclosures, a ton of people leaving the business, and out of work contractors. Raising the price of fish would cause competition amongst the catchers to increase, therefore they will resort to methods that will maximize their catch, and thus destroy the reefs. There will also be an increase in the amount of catchers since that job may be more lucrative then other jobs available on the island. More catchers= more damage to the reefs. I'm sure if fish prices go up then corals would go up also and therefore the disaster will continue.

Back