Reef Saver Eco rock

mfinn

Premium Member
I bought some BRS Reef Saver Eco rock and placed it in my sump of another tank I have setup.
How long will it take to turn this into live rock?
I plan on using this rock with no other in a tank I'm setting up for zoanthids, with maybe a single small wrasse.
It would be no problem if I was using store bought live rock, but this is something new for me.

Well, probably only a few days to cover in bacteria, but maybe quite a bit of time to be seeded fully (months, maybe a year or so) with the critters/sponges/algae that are in your system already. Do you have a lights over your sump to help color up the rock with coraline algae?
I've successfully made my own live rock made of concrete and oyster shells by having it seeded next to established live rock in my system. Good luck!!!!

im curious about others experiences with this rock as well.

Mfinn- did you cure it before adding to your sump? and if so how long did you cure it for?

I got about 500lbs of dry rock from BRS, and seeded it with another 150lbs of fiji premium live rock. I would say my rock is finally all live...display tank rock is covered in coralline and tons of pods everywhere. It took a solid 6 months for the seeding to take place. Great alternative to the expensive live stuff!!

I bought some BRS eco rock as well, 200lbs and placed it in a 100g rubbermade sump for about 2 months. I never noticed a cycle at all.

I would say 2-3 months to be used as base rock. If you are looking for colonization of some type... you will need to be very proactive.

Fantastic. IMO this is the only way to go. Harvesting rock from the sea is a major problem, and if it's not done in an eco friendly process it shouldn't be done. Think of clear cutting a forest, you're not just taking the tree's out of environment...anyway before I get carried away I'll get back to the topic.

After your tank has "cycled" the rocks they are basically live. Nitrogen cycle is roughly a month, as I'm sure you know. If you're adding into the sump of an established system that has already cycled it would be safest to wait at least a month for the nitrifying bacteria to grow on the rocks. Good indications of the rocks being live and ready for use is the diatom bloom. When dead rocks become live they usually go through a diatom bloom after 2-3 weeks. Once those diatoms go away wait a couple weeks and the rock is good to go IME.

If you want life rich rocks then Salty has it right....being proactive with dead rock is key for rich dead rocks. I made my nano using 20 lbs of dead DIY oyster shell and cement mix rocks with 2 lbs of really nice 2 year old live rock that was once dead rock also, and came from a very healthy pest free tank. It takes time but there's things you can do to speed up the process.

1) place an already live rock in a good flow area. Right in front of a power head or overflow return that blows onto the dead rock will help seed the stuff from the live rock.
2) Ask local reefers that have good healthy tanks for a small cup of sand, or some of the water from their water changes to diversify the critters and bacteria in/on the rocks. Or add from your own tanks.
3) turn the flow off and scrape coraline from the live rocks so that it floats around and lands on your dead rocks. The bits that attach will grow.
4) good water quality as always.

Now the bennefits are...for those wondering....
1) cool shaped rocks that are fun to aquascape with.
2) very slim chance of introducing pest organisms like aptasia, hydroids, mantis shrimp, bubble algae, etc. I even gone as far as re-fragging my corals when I get them, and inspecting them under bright flashlight and a magifying glass. ;P No pests in my system :)
3) save the natural reefs
4) cheap ($0.20 a lb for my rocks :)
5) really amazing to watch dead rocks come to life.
6) feel good about yourself and the investment.
&) so many more reasons.

cheers

i've heard that it takes a long long time for them to become "live rock". also it takes a while for them to beautify, for the first like 6 months or more they will be the ugliest rocks you have ever seen.

I used 90% eco rox and 2 pieces of well cured live rock on my nano tank, and then helped along the seeding by daily carbon, bacteria dosing as well as overdosing of zeofood7.

1 month has passed and I have little pods and filter feeders already, with no signs of algae or pests.

And I wouldn't call these ugly rocks! I hate coralline anyways, though I'm sure I'll get it at some point.

DSC02217.jpg

Back