Reefkeeping 101 – Sumps!

Thanks marc for so much info on sumps, as I am deciding right now if I should use a sump when I start my 75 gallon (reef) up, I have a good idea on the other componets (lights, skimmer, ect.) but I had no idea on sumps. I have ! 1/2 years experence on a 5 gal nano so I am a little overwhelmed by sumps. YOUR articale did make me think that I might be able to put a sump in to start this tank. I am weighing my decsion carefully, thanks for giving me so much needed info.

Sumps

Sumps

Hey Marc I am new at this so bear w/me. This takes water from the tank down into the sump thru the bubble corner into the skimmer area. From skimmer to the return area but it aslo sends water to refugium area and back out to the return area.So what you really have is skimmer to return water mxing w/skimmer to refugium to return water sort of like two avenues but meetung back at the return to go back up to our tank.
shewww!! Did I confuse you I confused me.
I think I want to make one for my 55 gallon but I want to really understand it first.
Damn Rookies.
thanks mike

No, the water that is fed to the refugium is a separate line.

With dual drainlines:

plumb_it.jpg

With a single drainline:

pvc_union.jpg

pvc_drainline.jpg

pvc_refugium.jpg

sumps

sumps

Marc so what happens his there are two pipes from the tank down to the sump. One straight to the PS and one to the refuge w/ a tee the PS. the refuge pipe stops short of surface and the water filters through to meet the PS water in the return area and up to the nice clean tank.
mike

Protein Skimmers

Protein Skimmers

Hi Marc I am wondering if you could answer a couple of questions for me.
1) I have a 55 gallon tank I was wondering if a 20 gal fish tank sump would be efficient for fowlr and then eventually slowly adding corals?

2) what protein skimmer would you recommand? brand? size?

thanks mike

Hi Mike,

Usually a 55g has about 10" of width under the tank within the stand, making it hard to fit a sump. A 20g long would be a nice option for that tank if you don't want to build a custom size in acrylic.

Skimmers: Euro-Reef, ASM, or Aqua C are all good brands. I'd look for something that can skim 90 to 120g worth of water.

Marc I really appreciate all your help. I feel like the saltwater for dummies guy, but people like you taking time for us (rookies) makes it easier. Thanks
Happy Friday
mike

acrylite

acrylite

Marc how do you know if your getting acrylite or regular plexiglass. Is it a trust thing I guess.
thanks mike

I purchase ArcyLite from my vendor. If you get it with paper backing, you can see it printed. If you buy film, it would be a trust thing.

Back