refactometer or digital type probe

Dolfan

I was considering a refractometer but also saw this and wondered if anyone is using something like this?

digital probe

Sure looks like it would be quicker and easier, if these are accurate then I would think this is a better route to go as the cost is similar.

I hear more about the refracto than the meters. I understand that with the pinpoint as they are about $50 more than a refracto, but something like this seems to be about the same price.

I would have to guess that if it is accurate it would be a good step up from a swing arm device.

I would get a refractometer and skip the probe -- for me a mechanical system is much less prone to any failure or loss of calibration and it only costs you maybe another 10 seconds each time you test. :)

I guess as a person who has never used a refractometer it sure seems like the probe would be completely "user proof". I guess what you are saying is that using the refracto isn't really difficult, or time consuming.

Any more thoughts from folks using either method.

I'm kind of wearing buying "lab grade equipment" on eBay. I bet that thing breaks in a month.

I'd say go with a refractometer.

Refactometer is a great way to check salinity(very accurate), and the great thing is you don't need to clibrate it nearly as often

Back