Refugium for Pipefish

zimpok

Greetings,

I am currently in the process of setting up a 55 gallon reef tank with a 20 long set up as an algae/invert refugium in circulating waterflow with the 55. Some of the inverts I plan to stock the refugium with are Mysis shrimp and Gammarus shrimp. I am also going to keep many cultures of macroalgae within the refugium and plan on adding a diverse selection of scoops of sand.
-Are there any specific corals that are not compatable with pipefish?
-If a pair of pipefish were kept in the 55 gallon, would these inverts satisfy the needs of the pipefish?
-Would there be any problem with the pipefish and any of the other fish I plan on keeping: pair of jawfish, dragonnet, shirmp gobies, firefish, clown goby, and bangaii cardinals?
-Would it be reasonable to put the male pipefish in the refugium while pregnant and remove him from the refugium after birth?
-Do pipefish eat their own fry?

Thank you,
Zimpok

Last edited:
What kind of pipefish are you planning on keeping? I personally don't think the refugium is enough to substain both a pair of seahorses AND a dragonet.

If I remember correctly, pipefish do eat their fry. And if pipefish fry are anything like seahorse fry, putting them in the refugium would mean that they would have to compete with amphipods and other critters for food.

If you placed a pregnant pipefish in the refugium, you run a great risk of it eating all your pods. I would make sure they dragonet you're getting is feeding on frozen food also.

First off... where did I say I was going to keep seahorses? I will assume you mean pipefish.

-I don't know what species of pipefish I would keep yet. What would feel at home in a 55?

-I am going to be placing lots of live rock and a deep live sand bed in the 55. I believe that this will satisfy the dragonet, so only the pipefish will need to be sustained by the refugium.

-The amphipods would compete with the pipefish fry for food? I thought that the amphipods would be meals for the fry.

Henry, what is your opinion on these matters?

-Are there any specific corals that are not compatable with pipefish?

yes, as the article indicated, and potentially strong-stinging corals should be avoided.

If a pair of pipefish were kept in the 55 gallon, would these inverts satisfy the needs of the pipefish?

not sure what "inverts" you are refering to, but i suspect you are refering to naturally occuring foods. this would be a situation that would need to be handled per tank, as i do not feel generalizations can be made.

Would there be any problem with the pipefish and any of the other fish I plan on keeping: pair of jawfish, dragonnet, shirmp gobies, firefish, clown goby, and bangaii cardinals?

besides predation upon the naturally occuring foods in the tank (dragonet), i can think of none.

-Would it be reasonable to put the male pipefish in the refugium while pregnant and remove him from the refugium after birth?

i would caution the regular moving of any fish, pipefish included. personally, i wouldn't do it.

-Do pipefish eat their own fry?

i have never witnessed my pipefish pair consuming their own fry.

HTH

henry

Back