refugium? help

baldomero

hey guys i have a 20L for a sump and that third chamber is lonely all it has is some sand and live rock.whats the easiest way to turn it to a refugium

Just be sure it's safely attached and won't fall into the water. Be sure you have a properly grounded fixture and plug into a GFCI protected circuit. Home Depot has portable plug-in ones. Even without lights, you are already creating a refuge for copepods and amphipods just with the live rock. The sand is a good place for worms and such. Keep crabs and fish out of there, you can add a little flake food now and then if the tank return water doesn't flow directly into it. Otherwise, they will live on the bits that come in from the overflow.

How much flow is too little for a refugium? I have a small tank that I can use as a refuge, but it will get no flow just water changes. I'll put a small heater in there too - is this a problem?

If it didn't have any flow you wouldn't have a fuge...just a tank with algae in it. A fuge is either built in, or plumbed into the sump. You won't need to add a heater because its the same water as the rest of the tank.

How much flow is too little for a refugium? I have a small tank that I can use as a refuge, but it will get no flow just water changes. I'll put a small heater in there too - is this a problem?

If it didn't have any flow you wouldn't have a fuge...just a tank with algae in it. A fuge is either built in, or plumbed into the sump. You won't need to add a heater because its the same water as the rest of the tank.

+!, Is this tank plumbed in to your display tank? If its not then it will just be another tank basically sitting in your stand.

Back