Refugium size

dbenenh0

So after my first post the other day I received a lot of helpful info and Jade5051 even pointed me in the direction of a good looking skimmer that is now on my list.

With that said I started laying out my sump spacing last night and it seems that I could fit a fuge that will hold right at 7.5 gallons. My DT is 75 gallons and the sump is a 29 gal. My question is would a fuge that size be very beneficial to my overall system or is that to small? I know something is better than nothing but if it will not be largely beneficial I can use the space for something else.

In general, the larger the fuge, the better. What is your goal for the refugium? Microfauna production? Nutrient export via chaeto or some other macro?

If it were me, I would grow chaeto in there. Just my 2 cents.

I seem to recall reading in one of the Reef keeping articles that 20% of the water volume is needed for an effective refugium.

I have a 30g stand alone refugium plumbed into my sump. My goal is nutrient reduction and I have to say it has made a difference.

Bigger is better as said above, but if you just want to have a place to grow pods, that'll be big enough. Nutrient export is where size starts to matter.

Nutrient export and growing pods would be the main goal of putting a fuge in my sump. I realize bigger is better (almost always is) but I wasn't sure if I would be wasting time and space doing one of that size in my sump. I figure the volume of water in it would be just under 10% of the entire system, smaller than I would like but I don't have room for a 40 breeder under my stand.

Is it possible to have an outflow from your display to a fuge (a second tank), which then flows to your sump? That's what I did with my 40B and 29 sump, I thought what was available in the sump was too small for my wants. If it's feasible, a 20H is cheap and would be a significant bump for you.

I wish that was an option. It was hard enough to convince the wife to set up a second tank for QT, if I started on a third to keep some "green stuff" in I could see that not going over well lol. Although I did just get her a second dog....

Back