Refugium turnover rate....?

todd141

Golf Nut
I've always read that a good sump flow is 3x to 5x your display tank's size.

Well I have a SRO HOB LX1000 on my 75 gallon tank, and just setup a Lifereef HOB overflow (fantastic product by the way...) into a 15 gallon fuge/sump. So I don't have a skimmer in there under the display tank. I only have live rock and chaeto in there, and a BRS reactor running carbon.

My question is this - do I need a lot of flow through there, or is 2x to 3x enough?

Tank is 2.5 years old, but I still see myself as New to this Hobby....that's why I'm posting here.

thanks everyone.

The fuge as well as the skimmers benefit from slower moving water. I`m not sure how much goes through mine per hour but its not a whole lot under my 210g. I actually added a small powerhead to the fuge to keep my chaeto slowly tumbling.

BTW: I was born and raised in Centerville Ohio. Family lived on Martha Ave for awhile :) Saw it on your profile

My question is this - do I need a lot of flow through there, or is 2x to 3x enough?

If your return pump is creating the major flow in your tank it's not enough. However I'm not a fan of powerful return pumps creating primary tank flow.

However if it's a refugium my rule of thumb is you need to be able to see the flow through the sump, but it's not because of the bubbles coming back through the return.

;)

3x the main tank would be 225 gph, which should be fine for a 15g refugium, at least for what most people keep in them. If you're worried, you could add a small powerhead at some point, but I doubt it'd be useful. If you have more specific plans, you could let us know, and we could work from there.

I've always read that a good sump flow is 3x to 5x your display tank's size.

Well I have a SRO HOB LX1000 on my 75 gallon tank, and just setup a Lifereef HOB overflow (fantastic product by the way...) into a 15 gallon fuge/sump. So I don't have a skimmer in there under the display tank. I only have live rock and chaeto in there, and a BRS reactor running carbon.

Tank is 2.5 years old, but I still see myself as New to this Hobby....that's why I'm posting here.

thanks everyone.

if it is going to become a fudge then 2-3x is fine, you want the water to move through the macro algae to make it move but slow enough so the macro can actually work, if eventually you decide on a bare sump and you add a skimmer to the sump id suggest a little more flow so the skimmer can clean enough of the water to be effective, and not keep cleaning the sump water due to slow movement, i think 2-3x is fine in your case.

Thanks for replies everyone. I have 3 Koralia Evos in the tank for flow - i don't rely on the return as part of the flow for the tank.

So far this setup is working well - I don't plan on changing anything - except for getting a larger tank with a dedicated sump and separate refugium - but that's a while away.

i agree you just want the water to move trough the sump. look at it like this if u do 5mph in a drive trough care wash the soap and water have more time to clean ur car rather than at 55 mph

Back