Regal Angel Primer

Regal Angel Primer

Livesquaria has small, led, and large Indian Ocean Regal. What would be the best for adding to an established Reef system? I was thinking the Med/Large size, what do you guys think?

Are they best in pairs?

c23870ab3399f7ed162cf275fb5e785c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I ordered a juvenile Maldives RA on Liveaquaria Monday. Was supposed to be shipped Tues for Wed delivery to Atlanta. Yesterday I received an email that the shipment is delayed. Upon calling LA I heard this usually means the fish is sick and can't be shipped. I cancelled the order. Apparently no way to contact the California facility either. LA sends orders to them by fax! Would be great to talk to someone there about the availability of the fish and condition of their fishes.

Anyone have any advice for good internet fish companies? I've dealt with Bluezoo before, wasnt happy. NY Aquatic can be good.
Maybe wait a little bit and try reordering through them? They've seem to have them pretty consistently these days. I received a yellow bellly Maldives one from them two weeks ago and its doing fantastic. It started eating the first day and took to pellets within a day or two. Its in my QT with three wrasses and is competing well for food. The wrasses also came from LA and are doing great. I've had mixed results with NYA and good results with Pacific Island Aquatics and Zoazollector for wrasses. They occasionally have regals.

Livesquaria has small, led, and large Indian Ocean Regal. What would be the best for adding to an established Reef system? I was thinking the Med/Large size, what do you guys think?

Are they best in pairs?

Smaller is better. And no, they do fine as a single. Pairs are tougher to get right.

bif24701 - I picked up a pair of the small juveniles about two weeks ago and they are doing great in quarantine. Seem to be very compatible with each other. My belief is the juveniles fair much better than the older ones.

Smaller is better. And no, they do fine as a single. Pairs are tougher to get right.

Ok so if I go with the smaller one how large of a qt do I need? Would it be better to place it in my large sump for monitoring? I've heard they dont do so well in qt?

bif24701 - I picked up a pair of the small juveniles about two weeks ago and they are doing great in quarantine. Seem to be very compatible with each other. My belief is the juveniles fair much better than the older ones.

Totally agree. My order with LA was for a juvi Indian Ocean- super small. Likely had a large spot. Surprising they still have them live on their site. I was told my order wouldn't be filled due to a likely sick fish too weak to sell or ship... I also have no idea about the quarantine and acclimation process at the CA facility which isn't run by them.

I checked with my LFS and Quality Marine has had two on there stock list, but my LFS was shipped 0 two weeks in a row. I think it becomes like when you walk into a store and ask for something and the clerk says the computer says we have 10 in stock, but then can't find any? I believe the medium are 3"? If so I have great luck with that size also, just not sure about going larger? My two from last year are a year old in my 180 and where dancing along with my flames last night about 5 minutes before the lights went out. I am still hopeful they pair up.

Are they best in pairs?

Not sure you read my posts but the Live Aquaria small maldives regals arent shipping. I ordered one of those Monday, expecting it Wed and the shipment never went out and I had to call and cancel. These are shipped from a distributor and LA has no access to their staff. Fish was likely sick or out of stock. Surprised it still shows up on the site.

Here is a better view of the 2 juveniles from LA that I received a few days ago. Seem to like to nibble on everything but never quite sure they are actually swallowing anything. One of the two has decided to start bossing around the other one as of today.

https://youtu.be/koRTY0F7oE4

Bif I am not sure you saw mandarin417's post? In the past all we heard was regal's are a gamble, most do not make it, but the ones from Maldives don't know that evidently, they seem to do well in a standard QT. If you are looking for a cheap QT tank petco many times has 40 breeders for $40

Not sure you read my posts but the Live Aquaria small maldives regals arent shipping. I ordered one of those Monday, expecting it Wed and the shipment never went out and I had to call and cancel. These are shipped from a distributor and LA has no access to their staff. Fish was likely sick or out of stock. Surprised it still shows up on the site.

RM my baby regal I purchased two years ago came available in April/May. I would of thought divers den may have some coming up? LA gets theirs from Quality Marine, and I know ERI has none in stock. I am not sure of any other wholesalers that carry the maldive's regal?

Bif I am not sure you saw mandarin417's post? In the past all we heard was regal's are a gamble, most do not make it, but the ones from Maldives don't know that evidently, they seem to do well in a standard QT. If you are looking for a cheap QT tank petco many times has 40 breeders for $40

I've got a couple 40s around. That works. I think I'm going to opt for ones that are med/lrg

RM my baby regal I purchased two years ago came available in April/May. I would of thought divers den may have some coming up? LA gets theirs from Quality Marine, and I know ERI has none in stock. I am not sure of any other wholesalers that carry the maldive's regal?

I got my yellow belly regal from saltwaterfish.com, who gets theirs from Sea Dwelling Creatures. Not sure if it was from Maldives, but doesn't matter as it ate everything including pellets from Day 1. They have some in stock right now and they come with a 15-day guarantee.

I've got a couple 40s around. That works. I think I'm going to opt for ones that are med/lrg

I wish you nothing but luck, but there is a reason the vast majority of successes in this thread have been with smalls. The one I have in my QT is eating everything, and it's probably 2.75". I've seen multiple large ones at LFS that simply don't eat prepared food.

I wish you nothing but luck, but there is a reason the vast majority of successes in this thread have been with smalls. The one I have in my QT is eating everything, and it's probably 2.75". I've seen multiple large ones at LFS that simply don't eat prepared food.

I would get a small one however looks like there is some problems with them from LA at the Cali facility.

I did read where some had success with larger ones from Maldives and this is the first time I've seen them available. Apparently the harvesting and transportation of the Maldives Regals is better suited for larger ones and puts less stress on them. Is that not the case?

They take well to Canadian mysis right, I thought I read that too? I feed exclusively PE mysis. Also have live black worms and picky eaters seem to take to them sometimes.

So if these things are true then I'm will to give it a try. I much prefer a larger one, I just don't think a small one would do well in my system with the tangs even if all goes well through QT. However larger fish they don't seem to bother. I do agree of the advice on the smaller Angel, in fact I had one doing very well a while back that was lost near the end of QT due to heater failure. I think I actually posted about that sometime ago right in this thread.

I always appreciate the help and advice and I pray my decision doesn't appear that I'm discounting all the valuable advice in this amazing thread.

This thread is a credit to the hobby and its members.

Bif keep us updated, although unless you choose Saturday shipping we will have to wait till next week? FYI I received a Maldives Blue Face Angel yesterday, 30 min. acclimation, 2 hour rest, 18 min FW dip, the only reason I didn't stop at 12 was because it did not affect him at all, 1.5 hours prazi pro dip, and then a couple hours in regular tank water with until I took him home acclimated him to the QT water. An hour later I went to feed the juvenile Blue face in the same 100g rubber maid tank and the large BF ate like a champ. My hat goes off to the Maldives collection station.

Here is a picture of one and sorry about the HA, but I can beat it in time versus the Bubble in my old tank

Attachments

• REGAL 2-21-18.jpg
    REGAL 2-21-18.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 1
Back