Regal Angel Primer

I purchase a dozen live hard-shell clams (Littlenecks) from my local HEB grocery store seafood department at a time, throw them in the freezer and thaw them in a cup of water when I ready to use them. After thawing, the clams will open up a bit and I pull them all the way open before putting into the tank. All my angels love them. I looked at the "made for fish feeding" frozen clams at the retail store and I am not comfortable about their freshness or how they were produced overseas and shipped to the local fish store. I know the littlenecks are alive when I buy them - fully closed when purchased. Runs me about $2.50 for a dozen of them.

Last edited:
With the small Regals coming in you may want to try chucking the fresh little neck clams from your grocer and freezing them in a plastic bag. Once frozen it is easy to use a razor blade and shave small thin pieces off. I may have spoiled my Regals doing this but they were having trouble tearing bite size chunks from serving clam on the half shell. Hope this helps. Good luck everyone with your new Angels.

With the small Regals coming in you may want to try chucking the fresh little neck clams from your grocer and freezing them in a plastic bag. Once frozen it is easy to use a razor blade and shave small thin pieces off. I may have spoiled my Regals doing this but they were having trouble tearing bite size chunks from serving clam on the half shell. Hope this helps. Good luck everyone with your new Angels.

Good tip! I will try it tomorrow morning. I do see my angels trying to tear up the clams without success quite often but I thought it was normal for them. Now I think about it the goal is to get more food in their stomach so if it makes it easier for them to feed then I should do it. Thank you for sharing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DD has a small juvenile Orange regal angel coming out today, I wonder what the price tag will be?

Diver's den will always charge 20-30% more for the same fish due to the fact that they condition them. I'd say $300+
You are right on, on the price. The picture does not look good but $299.99 which is quite a bit more than 179.99 on LA with the same 2 weeks guarantee.

attachment.php

Attachments

• LA Regal.jpg
    LA Regal.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 1
You are right on, on the price. The picture does not look good but $299.99 which is quite a bit more than 179.99 on LA with the same 2 weeks guarantee.

Dang! I thought it would be more expensive, honestly. I remember in the past, they would have Maldives juveniles for $350-400.

I agree with Minh, it's tough to justify that extra $120 with the same guarantee.

How are your little ones Alton?

Out and about this morning, they stayed hidden all day yesterday. Picked on rocks , hopefully they eat today. I do have to add this tank is loaded with Mysid shrimp, so they may have been munching on them. I was able to get my LFS order one from Quality Marine which I will trade out for coral, that one will go in my home QT.

Got to post pictures. I did not get any but did get a Carpenter's wrasse (mislabel as McCosker's). Got him into my tank last night hidden in the rocks.

I made a big stupid mistake and killed the small Regal and the majestic. The bigger Regal isn't doing well either. He went into hiding and stopped eating this morning.
I bought some sponge online and it took three days to get here. After I opened the bags I smelled something weird but I thought it was normal for sponges so I dumped them into the tank anyway. That was last night around 8 and this morning I woke up with two dead angels. The tank water smelled bad and the sponges turned white-ish so I pulled them out and did a 50% water change. After I pulled the sponges out I realized how bad they really smelled. It is a lot like decaying waste ammonia smell. I am going to stick with frozen food from now on. This is a heart breaking lesson for me. Very very sad....

I am sorry to hear this. Live sponges as food for the Angels?

Yeah I thought live sponge was the best food for angels but my angels were all eating really well I shouldn't have put something suspicious into the tank at all...

48 hours since the two small regals were put in QT tank. LA salinity was at 1.018 as usual. QT is a bit higher at 1.020 with 50mg of CP per gallon in the 30 gallon long tank. Also a small purple tang and small bicolor that started QT a week earlier. All very peaceful. Have been feeding seaweed on clip, a couple different forms of small pellets, fresh clam, frozen angel formula and mysis. Regals pick at everything offered. Cannot tell if they are actually ingesting but always interested in everything.

What growth rate should I expect on 2 juvenile regals that are 2" today? Trying to plan ahead on future tank needs. So in a year, how big could they get?

That is the million dollar question. The two I have in my 180 have not grown much at all in a year except in thickness. The one I added to my 65 office tank almost doubled in size in 8 months. The last picture was when he made the great trip to Austin and Ty Farmer

Attachments

• regal with buddies 6-1 (2).jpg
    regal with buddies 6-1 (2).jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 1
  • Baby last day 2-25-17.jpg
    Baby last day 2-25-17.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 1
Back