Regulation

g8rsnook

Is there a government or other entity that regulates the words capitive bred or aquacultured? I know the USDA try's to regulate the usage of the word organic. :spin3:

Considering what the USDA allows to be called "organic", I don't think it's so sad. I wouldn't have such high hopes for them doing any better with aquaculture.

If it's aquacultured fish, meant for human consumption, and farmed here in America, the USDA might be involved, but it's probably some other governmental agency. However, if it's not a fish meant for human consumption, or in a different country, no, the USDA wouldn't be involved

Yeah....the USDA.........not exactly the knight in shining armor everyone thinks they are. When it comes to agribusiness, they are only interested in promoting the government's agenda which, nowadays, has become the agenda of whatever lobbyist is spending the most money. Not that I drank any kool-aid, nor am I offering any kool-aid but, read Michail Polan's "The Omnivore's Dilemma." You'll get some interesting insight to the USDA and the word "organic."

And, as far as CITES and all of that....what do you think happens to the vast majority of animals that are illegally smuggled or otherwise brought into this country? They're not sent back to where they came from, I'll tell you that. Most of them are euthanized or left in holding until the vast chain of paperwork necessary for the government to function is properly filled out...during which time they probably die.

And, many times, animals that are legally brought into the country suffer the same fate as the smuggled ones due to the intricasies of government oversight. It's really a shame.

There does need to be better protection and regulation of endangered species, etc. However, our government is so dysfunctial that they are not capable of doing it in an efficient manner that benefits the organisms involved. They seem to go out of the way to get in their own way. That's what's very sad.

US F&WS routinely used public aquariums to hold smuggled items, even ones that they have questions on. I have seen them at numerous public aquariums I have had the chance to visit behind the scenes. In fact every one I have visited had stuff they were holding USF&WS

US F&WS routinely used public aquariums to hold smuggled items, even ones that they have questions on. I have seen them at numerous public aquariums I have had the chance to visit behind the scenes. In fact every one I have visited had stuff they were holding USF&WS

That's still common practice last I knew. Though sometimes it does take them too long to arrange finding, and getting a seized shippment to an approved organization.

Anyone know what public aquarium all the illegal angelfish that cortez marine collected went to?

all I know is nowadays usually whenever I hear whining about "regulation" it basically amounts to passing the "ecological buck" (so to speak) from one generation to the next, usually under the pretense of saving "jobs" or some other monetary self interest...

...anyway as far as words go: speaking of USDA (or whomever) is the governmental "word police"...when it comes to fish & consumption, they often regulate common word usage all the time:

Can't call SE Asian catfish "catfish" because of US aquaculture special interest, naw its gotta be called "Swai"

Zander is called "baby walleye" here in Cleveland, even though one of the two Eurasian pike perch is essentially the same fish (ironically Zander is cheaper than walleye even though the L.Erie boast a world class fishery)

...anyway, there are dozens of other examples where the commercial/regulated name has little to do with any accuracy or actual context

Back