remove lenses on SB Reef Light sbox basic 16" 165 watt

AboutToBeReefin

so i have a 46 gallon bowfront(which is on the high end of tank sizes reccommended for this light) and purchased the sbox 16" 165 watt for it. The problem is i have to mount it only about 8 inches from the water line inside my canopy unless i cut a hole in the top which i would like to avoid. I have read of people removing lenses to increase the spread on some other blackboxes. I have seen in other situations where the light is maxed out for the tank size people just remove the outer lenses and maybe a few middle ones. This light uses some 90 degree and some 120 degree like on the UV, so I am wondering do i remove lenses, if so which ones or all of them and by doing so can i make this work with the 8 inch mounthing height or do i REALLY need to cut a hole in my canopy?

I have one on a 34gal. It was much better after removing all of the lenses. My mounting height is probably about 8 inches from the top of the fixture to top of tank. I'd do it.

I have one on a 34gal. It was much better after removing all of the lenses. My mounting height is probably about 8 inches from the top of the fixture to top of tank. I'd do it.

I CANNOT for the life of me get the lenses off of the diodes on my SBAR actinic strip

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thank you!! I will do the same then. :D do you notice any disco ball effect/blending issues when doing so or does it blend pretty well with them all off?

Back