Removing invading polyps

Again, if you have the resources you may want to consider predation as an option. Here's a little more info:

PREDATION ON THE TOXIC ZOANTHID Palythoa caribaeorum BY REEF FISHES IN
THE ABROLHOS BANK, EASTERN BRAZIL
Ronaldo Bastos Francini-Filho1,2,*and Rodrigo Leão de Moura2

This paper details how the Pomacanthus jaw structure lends itself to predation on sponges, soft corals, etc as well as noting a tolerance for their foods' toxicity:
Prey-capture in Pomacanthus semicirculatus (Teleostei, Pomacanthidae): functional implications of intramandibular joints in marine angelfishes
Nicolai Konow, David R. Bellwood

There are more research papers out there with references to palytoxin-producing reef inhabitants' neighbors also harboring said toxins: clams, mussels, sponges, etc. apparently store it in there internal organs. Ah well, enough of the research stuff.

You may be able to get pretty much the same results with smaller members of the species as I can only attest to my experience and the results of my research.

As in my case with the Semicirculatus angelfish (Pomacanthus semicirculatus), an angelfish may quite happily have them on the menu. Of course, a decision to have an angelfish - as with any other aquarium occupant - should be made from an informed position on its lifetime care requirements. Oh, and whether you'd be willing to forgo zoanthids, palys, most soft corals, anemones, sponges, clams, and a handful of other things I've probably forgotten on their dining list - individually dependent, of course.

i do still have a few palys remaining in hiding under a stylo colony out of the reach (for the moment at least) from the angel. Oddly enough it completely ignores corallimorphs...haven't figured that out yet.

Cheers,
Ray

PS: Another good toxin for research (among many in our reef aquarium systems...for those interested) is Tetrodotoxin, a link to which can be found here - http://www.chm.bris.ac.uk/motm/ttx/ttxv.htm
You may be surprised where it is found.

Last edited:
Back