reoccuring pop-eye - any explaination?

simoncbarnes

We got a group of 5 carribean blue chalk bass 2 years ago kind of as a 'rescue'! They were he smallest, skinnist, most timid fish you would ever have seen! Within a month they had filled out and were always out. The continued to thrive for about a year, then when we moved the tank one developed pop-eye. It seemed to go round with each one having it in turn. None died and it cleared up without treatment. However since then it keeps coming back. There are 20 fish in the tank, but it is onl ever the bass who have it. Last time it got so bad one died.

Any ideas as to what causes it and why it keeps coming back? Anyone know any good treatments for it?

Thanks guys :)

check out wet web media in the pop-eye section, it sounds like a bacterial problem. Your best bet would be to remove them and treat in QT if you can.

I, too, would like to know if there are any reef-safe treatments.

I bought three Bartlett's Anthias from Live Aquaria a few months back and yesterday I noticed one them had a very swollen, distended eye.

Diseases like that are sometimes related to poor water quality. I see that you have 20 fish in your tank. Depending on their size it could be too many fish for your tank. Do you keep up with regular water changes of at least 10 gallons? Do you have a good protein skimmer?

Back